Diesel Engine Mechanic Apprenticeship Program
Diesel Engine Mechanics install, repair and maintain all internal combustion diesel engines and components as used in transport, construction and marine.
This apprenticeship is a two year apprenticeship. Apprentices in this trade will attend the Heavy Mechanical Trades (HMT) training model for level 1 and 2.
HMT Level 1 is 10 weeks in length
HMT Level 2 is 8 weeks in length
For more information on the Heavy Mechanical Trades training model visit this link Heavy Mechanical Trades.
Note: Apprentices who have completed the old foundation program will need to begin the new level 1 program.
Please note that apprentices who began their training in the old 6 week model for Levels 1, 2, 3 & 4 will finish in the old model.
This new combined training model will allow apprentices more flexibility and opportunity for multiple credentials.
If you have any questions about this new process please do not hesitate to contact our office at 1-800-621-3038.
- You must be a registered apprentice within BC
- Persons wishing to become apprentices must be employed with a business that employs a qualified journeyperson in that trade. The Industry Training Authority (ITA) sets up a registration for apprenticeship between the apprentice, the employer and the ITA.
Level 1 (10 weeks)
- Occupational Skills
- Frames, Steering and Suspension
- Heating, Ventilation and A/C
- Structural Components and Accessories
Level 2 (8 weeks)
- Engines and Supporting Systems
The Diesel Engine Mechanic apprentice will write the Certificate of Qualification Examination on the last day of the level 2 technical training. Successful completion grants the apprentice with the Certificate of Qualification as a Diesel Engine Mechanic.
- For tuition information visit Apprenticeship Tuition Fees.
- Students must supply approved safety boots and coveralls.
- Income support for apprentices attending technician training courses is provided by Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) through regular employment insurance eligibility.
- For financial and other useful documents visit Important Documents
Trade Specific Information
Follow these links for employment opportunities and trade specific information:
How to Apply
Applications can be completed online here or over the phone. There is no application fee.
Click here to view the apprenticeship schedule.
(250) 762-5445 (Local 4687)
Toll Free: 1-800-621-3038