Office Assistant Certificate
|Campus||Distance (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Sep, Oct, Nov), Vernon (Sep), Penticton (Sep), Salmon Arm (Sep), Kelowna (Feb, Sep)|
You may start this program the first Monday of the month: September - November or January - March
Only the in-class program is student loan eligible.
Share this programEmail Print
This entry-level program is for students interested in working business offices. Learn about business communications, computer essentials, office procedures, business math, word processing, spreadsheets and database software. Graduates are able to start a career as a receptionist or office assistant and can take further courses to specialize in areas of interest.
Tuition and Fees
2022-23: $2,518.85 (Kelowna, Penticton, Salmon Arm), $2,563.11 (Vernon)
Fees include all mandatory fees: Activity fee, Health & Dental, Student Association fee, Education Technology fee, Development fee.
All amounts are approximate and are subject to change.
- International students will pay International tuition fees
The 510-hour (17 weeks) Office Assistant Certificate program is an entry-level program for students interested in working in business offices. Students in this program learn essential business skills such as business communications, computer essentials, office procedures, business math, word processing, spreadsheet and database software. Graduates may be employed as receptionists, file clerks, and office assistants. Graduates of this program may also choose to continue their education by enrolling in more advanced Office Administration programs such as the Accounting Assistant, Administrative Assistant, Legal Administrative Assistant, or Medical Administrative Assistant Certificate programs.
The Office Assistant Certificate program is offered on campus as well as online. On-site students are normally enrolled full time; students wishing to take courses on site on a part-time basis should consult with the department chair. Online students may complete the program part time.
In-class delivery (17 weeks):
- uses class management software
- runs on a Mon - Fri 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. schedule
- instructor led by fully qualified, experienced post-secondary instructors
- are interactive and engaging
Distance Education online delivery (510 hours):
- flexible program that allows you to choose when you study and work on your course materials
- student-led and self-paced
- ability to contact your instructor for any course assistance or questions
- B.C. Secondary school graduation, or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for at least one year as of the first day of classes.
- English 11 with minimum 50% or alternatives; or a minimum score of 70% on an Okanagan College Office Administration English entrance test.
Graduation from the Office Assistant Certificate program requires successful completion of all courses in the program with a minimum final grade of 70 per cent in each.
Join an info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.