Designed for those who already hold an RN or LPN practicing license, this certificate provides the knowledge and skills for those wanting to be a gastroenterology nurse.
Want to learn more? Check out this recent info session:
Tuition and Fees
plus applicable textbooks and/or materials
The 302-hour online Gastroenterology Nursing Certificate (GNC) provides learners with the knowledge and practical skills for entry into endoscopic nursing. This program includes theory, demonstrations, and practical skill training in endoscopic work areas. Topics include: anatomy and physiology, pre- and post-nursing care for gastroenterology procedures performed in the ambulatory care setting and the handling and care of scopes and accessories.
Already have experience in this area? This program qualifies for our Recognition of Prior Learning review. If some of your previous experience could apply to this program, please click here for more information.
- Proof of an active practicing license with a respective provincial professional body (RN, LPN)
- Provide written proof of a minimum of two years acute care experience
- Provide a written agreement of a practicum placement by an endoscopy unit manager
- Current certification in CPR Level C. This must be maintained throughout the program.
- A criminal record check clearance from the B.C. Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General's Criminal Records Review Office. Okanagan College's admission offices will provide applicants with instructions and forms for applicants to submit to the Solicitor General's Office and a deadline for the College to receive the clearance letter. Applicants should only initiate their criminal record check when instructed by Admissions. Failure to provide a clearance letter by the deadline will result in a cancellation of the applicant's admission application.
- Results of tuberculin testing done no more than six months before the date of application, with evidence of appropriate follow up if the test was positive.
- Up-to-date Immunization Record based on vaccinations listed below. Please provide a photocopy of your completed immunization record; this record will be kept in your student file. Applicants are advised that, if they choose not to complete this recommended immunization schedule, any outbreak of an infectious disease can have serious implications for their practice experience because of a requirement by the Health Authority that all those not immunized remain outside of the practice area.
- Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoid (Td) - Booster doses of Td are recommended every 10 years, or as a minimum at least once during adult life.
- Measles Vaccine - If born between 1957 and 1970, you should have proof of two live measles vaccinations, documentation of physician-diagnosed measles or laboratory evidence of immunity. If you already received one dose of measles vaccine, a second dose of vaccine is recommended and is given as Measles Mumps (MMR) vaccine.
- Polio Vaccine - Primary immunization with inactivated poliomyelitis vaccine (IPV) is indicated for all who have not had a primary course of poliovirus vaccine (OPV or IPV). If you have not been given a full primary course, you should have the series completed with IPV regardless of the interval since the last Booster doses of IPV are not required in Canada.
- Rubella Vaccine - If you do not have documented immunity as described above under Measles, you should be vaccinated with MMR, unless there are contraindications.
- Hepatitis B Vaccine - Recommended because of potential exposure to blood or body fluids, as well as increased risk of penetrating injuries.
- Varicella Vaccine - Indicated for those who do not have either reliable history of disease or serologic evidence of immunity.
- Flu Immunization - Annual Flu immunization is recommended.
Students must pass the practicum and attain a minimum grade of 70% in each of the other courses in the program.
Join an info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.