- Full program offered
- Partial program offered
- International students eligible
Tuition and fees
2022-23: $27,354.36 (Total for the program)
Fees include all mandatory fees: Activity fee, Health & Dental, Student Association fee, Education Technology fee, Development fee.
This program is student loan eligible. View Financial Aid & Awards
All amounts are approximate and are subject to change.
The two-year Animation diploma program focuses on drawing, design and the principles and techniques of traditional and digital character animation. There is an optional Co-op work term offered between year 1 and year 2 of the program.
Features include a state of the art classroom in the new Innovation Centre in downtown Kelowna, the latest technology in the field of digital animation, and comprehensive drawing classes taught by industry professionals to develop artistic skills, technical dexterity and creative thinking. Industry standard production scenarios and professional practices mimic the production pipeline. Core courses include 2D, digital 2D and 3D animation, life drawing, character design, storyboard and layout design. Animation history, communications and an introduction to business functions are also studied.
Successful graduates complete a professional quality, industry-focused demo reel showcasing their design and digital animation skills, preparing them for a career in British Columbia's (B.C.'s) booming entertainment industry.
- Focus on applied learning: from pencil to digital, graduating animators and not just operators.
- Deliver a curriculum which balances artistic skills, industry techniques and applied technology.
- Maintain close relationships with the industry.
- Train artists for a successful career in the 2D or 3D animation industry.
Skill sets taught in the Animation program are also applicable to careers in the fields of computer games, multimedia, web design, television and feature film.
Graduates work in a variety of positions:
- 2D or 3D Animator
- Storyboard Artist
- Layout Artist
- Character Designer
- Visual Effects Animator
- Creature Animator
- Game Artist
A portfolio by the student must be submitted prior to acceptance in the Animation Diploma program. These are the two key types of elements required:
- Letter of intent: in a one-page letter, please tell us about yourself. Describe your interest in studying art and animation and any previous education or related experience that you have had.
- Artwork examples: Your portfolio must consist of 15 to 20 pieces of your own work, featuring specific types of artwork.
For full requirements, and information on how to submit your portfolio, visit the Animation Department site.
|Kelowna||Sep. 06, 2023||
Please note, classes are taken at the Innovation Centre and the Rotary Centre for the Arts in downtown Kelowna, not at the Kelowna campus on KLO Rd.
- B.C. secondary school graduation, or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for one year as of the first day of classes.
- English 12 with minimum 60% or alternatives.
- Interview and portfolio assessment. Please refer to program website for more details.
- Applicants may be required to complete a drawing exercise.
View the official Calendar details and policies
Learn more about the department
View the Tuition and fees page
Join an info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.