EL for Canadian Students

AFP Eng Lang Depart

English Language (EL) for Permanent Residents and Canadian Students

Permanent Residents and Canadian students can apply for EL. Landed Immigrant status, Permanent Resident, Refugee status or Canadian Citizenship documents are required.

Further details can be found by clicking on English Language.

How do I apply for EL classes at Okanagan College?

Go to our website at www.okanagan.bc.ca.

Click on:

  • Become a Student
  • Apply Now
  • Apply Online

Or type the following link: /page31383.aspx

  • Fill out the online application.
  • Pay a $30.00 application processing fee.
  • Provide - proof of Permanent Residence status, or Canadian citizenship to the Registrar's Office (S-109).
How much are the fees for EL classes?

A provincial policy announced August 8, 2017 has eliminated tuition for domestic students for English Language programs beginning Sept. 1, 2017.

Financial Assistance

While there is no tuition charged for English Language programs for domestic students, there may be financial help available through the provincial government's Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG). Follow this link to learn more about the Adult Upgrading Grant

What different classes are offered?

Reading, Writing, and Listening and Speaking.

What EL Certificates does OC have?

1) EL has two levels - English Language

2) EAP (English for Academic Purposes) has four levels - English for Academic Purposes

What level of English do I have?

Take the Okanagan College English Language Assessment (OCELA). This test is normally held a few days before classes begin. Once you have applied to take EL classes, the admissions office will send a letter giving you the date and time of your OCELA test.

Where are the classes offered?

The EL classes are offered at the Kelowna campus.

When are the classes offered?

OC has 3 EL semesters:

1) September – December.

2) January – April.

3) May – August.

Most classes are Monday to Friday from 8:30 – 5:20. You can take part-time or full-time classes.

How do I register for classes?

After you take the OCELA, please contact an International Education Advisor. They will help register you.

How do I know the time and classroom number for my courses?

The OC Mobile App will tell you. Please download the OC Mobile App.

For further information contact the Department of English Language Chair

Ardiss Stutters
Email: astutters@okanagan.bc.ca
Phone: 250-762-5445 ext. 4381