English for Academic Purposes Certificate
- Full program offered
- Partial program offered
- International students eligible
Okanagan College offers students an opportunity to improve their English for college and university. The English for Academic Purposes Program (EAP) is a three-level program whose goal is to prepare students for academic studies.
Full-time students attend classes for 20 hours per week in Levels 1, 2, and 3. At each level, students must complete English for Academic Purposes Discussion (EAPD) and either English for Academic Purposes Scholarship (EAPS) or both English for Academic Purposes Reading (EAPR) and English for Academic Purposes Writing (EAPW).
In addition to the EAP Certificate courses, students at EAP level 2 and level 3 may take one academic course provided students meet course prerequisites. The addition of academic courses must be approved by the appropriate academic dean.
EAPD level 3 and either EAPS level 3 or both EAPR level 3 and EAPW level 3 are equivalent to English 12.
|Kelowna||Jan. 08, 2024|
|Kelowna||Sep. 04, 2024|
|Kelowna||Jan. 06, 2025|
- All general age and study permit prerequisites apply - see Admissions and Important Information for International Applicants.
- The department will place new students depending on one of the following test scores: OCELA, IELTS, TOEFL, or Duolingo.
- Students are not normally permitted to take the OCELA more than once during a 12-month period.
- Students will place at EAP level 1 with an overall placement at Level 5 OCELA, an overall IELTS 5.0, a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 60, a Duolingo score of 75-80, or completion of the EL Certificate with a minimum grade of 65% in ELLS 040, ELR 040, and ELW 040 or 65% in ELLS 040 and ELRW 040.
- Students will place at EAP level 2 with an overall placement at Level 6 OCELA, or an overall IELTS 5.5, a TOEFL iBT score of 71-78, or a Duolingo score of 85-90.
- Students will place at EAP level 3 with an overall placement at Level 7 OCELA, or an overall IELTS 6.0, a TOEFL iBT score of >78, or a Duolingo score of 95-100.
Join an info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.