Post-graduation work permit

post-graduation work permit (PGWP) is a document that gives you permission to remain in Canada as a worker and work full time for up to three years after you graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution.

To apply for a PGWP, you must meet the eligibility requirement stated at the IRCC webpage

Overview of the application process

When to apply
  • It’s strongly recommended that you submit your complete PGWP application online within 89 days of your study program completion date or before your current study permit expires, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. If you’re unable to do so, it’s essential to consult an International Student Advisor.

  • $255
Processing time

How to apply

Application form
  • Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710] – if applying from inside Canada

  • Note: Make sure you use the newest form. If applying online, log in to the IRCC website before starting your application.

Supporting documents

  • Letter of Program Completion from Okanagan College. Please email completed Letter of Program Completion Request form to

  • Official Academic Transcript from Okanagan College, ordered through your MyOkanagan account. 

  • A copy of your passport (include the bio-data page plus any pages with stamps, visas or markings)

  • Passport-style photo (if applying online)

  • Additional documents may be needed



You may work full time (on or off campus) while waiting for a decision on your post-graduate work permit application if you meet the relevant eligibility requirements explained at the IRCC webpage


We recommend that students wishing to travel outside Canada after applying for their PGWP meet with an International Student Advisor before leaving Canada.

I’m waiting for my post-graduation work permit. Can I travel outside Canada and come back with my student visa?

Please refer to the IRCC webpage for an explanation.

DISCLAIMER: This website has been reviewed by Antriksh Mistry(AR), a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website you are encouraged to visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (CIC) to access the most up-to-date information. Updated on Aug 2019.