Catering and Alcohol
Catering and Alcohol
Okanagan College has two policies which should be considered when serving food and alcohol at events. These policies are:
Some things to keep in mind:
Once you have decided that food will be provided there are a number of catering options available for on campus events, these include:
- If possible, particularly for high profile events, the culinary arts program should be given the opportunity to participate.
- If the event is being held off-campus the above catering options may still be available.
- If you haven't hired a particular caterer before, check references.
- When speaking with a caterer, explain the price range of your food budget.
- Clarify what your budget must include, e.g. beverages, catering staff, tables and chairs, cleanup, etc.
- Events scheduled between 5 and 7 p.m. should include a meal or a variety of hors d’oeuvres, both hot and cold.
- Events after 7 p.m. should generally include a heavier selection of sweets.
- If you serve alcoholic beverages, offer non-alcoholic options as well.
- Confirm that the caterer will serve decaffeinated coffee as well as caffeinated coffee.
time to meet with your caterer to confirm details, including when
they'll serve, whether it’s okay to bus tables during the program, etc.
- Check with the caterer on linen colors, type of china to be used, centerpieces, and flowers.
- Sensitivity to individual, medical, cultural and religious dietary restrictions is imperative.
- Buffet meals are less expensive than meals served by a wait staff.
- If possible use sustainable food service methods and materials. (link to green page)
- The Culinary Arts Program
- Fezziwigs (Kelowna)
- DeBeans (Kelowna)
- Bev Burkart (Penticton)
- Basket Case Picnics & Catering (Vernon)
- Multicultural Cafe (Salmon Arm)
Chef Vincent Stufano, Manager Culinary Arts
Ph: 250 762 5445 local 4426
De Beans Coffee
Ph: 250-769-2206 or ext. 5635
Ph: 250-762-5445 ext. 5660
Ph: ext. 8236
Basket Case Picnics & Catering
Chris Rowland & Kelsey Galt
Ph: ext. 2245
Ph: 250-492-4305 ext. 3963
Events held in the Kelowna Cafeteria must coordinate catering through the Manager of Food Services and there may be other contractual requirements that need to be met at each campus. Please contact the Regional Dean’s Assistant if you have questions.