Frequently asked questions

Check this page often as additional FAQs are added to support our learning community.

What is Okanagan College's approach during COVID-19?

Okanagan College summer sessions are currently using alternative delivery methods, such as online. For fall 2020, most students can expect programs to be delivered in either a fully online or hybrid (combination of online and face-to-face) format. The exact mix is still being determined and will be clear by July 6, when registration for Okanagan College’s fall courses begin. On-campus instruction will be a priority for courses where learning outcomes are dependent on hands-on learning, such as health-care labs, trades shops and science and engineering technology labs. Where possible, labs and shops and some lecture classes will be offered in a face-to-face format, respecting WorkSafeBC, Public Health Officer and provincial guidelines to ensure a safe situation for all concerned. Read the full announcement.

How will COVID-19 affect my admission to the College?

Okanagan College is committed to ensuring the application and admission processes remain as smooth as possible, and is working hard to ensure your application will be evaluated fairly, even if you have experienced disruptions due to COVID-19. Visit the Admissions page for more information and specific questions.

Where can I get support with learning online?

The College has several informative links available on the Online Resources page especially for students. It includes information on where you can access equipment, online learning platforms like Moodle and Blackboard Collaborate. For students with academic accommodations that may be more challenging on an online environment, Accessibility Services will reach out to you via email. However, if you have any questions about receiving academic accommodations, please contact your Accessibility Services Coordinator or email accessibility@okanagan.bc.ca.

What services are available to me while learning from home?

Okanagan College services are still available, and many offer remote options for contacting individuals and departments. Check out this directory in Resources how to contact departments like Student Success Centre, the Library, Registrar’s Office and Student Services.

I have limited access to technology. Do you have computers available to students?

Laptops are available for loan through IT Services. Students can call ahead (1-866-839-4032) and IT Services can arrange to have hardware made available for you.

What is the status of Trades programs starting this summer?

Both Foundation programs and Apprenticeship intakes scheduled to start before June 30, 2020 have been postponed. Once the postponed intakes are rescheduled, or seats are made available in other intakes, the Trades administration team will contact you about your options. Please wait to reschedule until you are contacted, to help the Trades team address each applicant. For additional foundation and apprenticeship inquiries, check out this Trades FAQ page

What financial support and resources are available to students?

The Financial Aid and Awards office is available to consult with students about financial support and resource options. Contact the department via email at financialaid@okanagan.bc.ca to book an appointment.

How do I access provincial or federal financial assistance?

How do I access provincial or federal financial assistance?

There are different assistance plans available:

I have other questions about finances. Who should I contact?

Please visit the Financial Aid and Awards webpage for additional FAQs, information and contact details.

What is the status of the Library

Okanagan College's Library is offering services during the COVID-19 crisis. Visit Library's webpage for details about what is available.

What is the status of the Learning Centre/Student Success Centre?

Learning Centre / Student Success Centres are providing academic support to students remotely. For details, visit your home campus page:

What is the status of OC Bookstores?

OC Bookstores are taking online orders. Visit their website to place an order.

What is the status of food services on campus?

Food services on campus are closed at this time.

What is the status of recreation facilities on campus?

Recreation facilities on campuses are currently closed.

What is happening with student housing?

For inquiries about Okanagan College Student Housing at the Kelowna campus, contact housing_klo@okanagan.bc.ca.

What is the status of OC's Convocation ceremonies?

After polling graduating students on their wishes, Okanagan College made the decision to postpone Convocation ceremonies. Please stay tuned for details.

What is the status of events?

Okanagan College is following guidelines and orders from the Provincial Health Office and in-person events more than 50 people are cancelled. As fall approaches, Okanagan College will determine what in-person events can move forward safely for all participants. Stay tuned for details.

In the meantime, check out these virtual events and activities:

As an international student, what impact does COVID-19 have on my immigration status?

Visit International’s page on the impact of COVID-19 on immigration and health insurance for international students.

As an international student, do I need to stay in the country?

Okanagan College students in degree or diploma programs who are planning to travel home may do so. This applies to all international students, as alternate modes of course delivery are or will soon be in place. If you are taking English as a Second Language (ESL) or English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses, please consult with your instructor, preferably via email or phone, to assess arrangements to allow you to complete these courses when you return to your country.

For questions about study permits and other international-student questions, visit this webpage.

What about international travel?

The federal government announced that the Canadian border is closed to foreign nationals as of March 17. Those exempt from crossing closure include: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, their family members, air crews, diplomatic staff, residents of the United States, as well as commercial and trade shipments.

I have more questions as an International student. Who should I talk to?

Please contact the International Department online.

Are Co-op interviews being suspended?

No. Many employers are willing to do phone or video interviews and the co-op department is assisting them in doing so.

I am a Co-op employer. How do I apply for funding?

Visit this resource page in the Student, Graduate and Co-op Employment section for details.

I have questions relating to Co-op. Who should I contact?

Touch base with the Student, Graduate and Co-op Employment department with inquiries.