An Automotive Refinishing Technician is a person who paints and refinishes automobiles, trucks, and buses whether it's a result of a collision, restoration work or a custom-design paint job. An Automotive Refinishing Technician is designated as an Automotive Painter under the Inter-Provincial Red Seal program.
Automotive Refinishing Technicians are involved in calculating the amount of paint required for a job, mixing paint to exactly match existing colours, and blending paint to its correct thickness. These technicians use a spray gun to apply both the primer and final coats of paint and they're responsible for keeping up-to-date with new products and processes, and for maintaining records of materials used. This trade is a creative trade where colour matching and fine-finishing details are valuable skills.
Automotive Refinishing Technicians are typically employed at motor vehicle dealerships, body shops and automotive specialty shops.
- You must be a registered apprentice within BC.
- Pre-requisites for this course requires that you are a Certified Automotive Refinishing Prep Technician or a Certified Journeyperson in Automotive Collision Repair.
Those wishing to enter the apprenticeship program must be working with a qualified journeyperson. Once the employer agrees to take on the apprentice, the Industry Training Authority (ITA) sets up a registration for apprenticeship between the apprentice, the employer and the ITA.
Apprentices are required to attend 4 weeks of technical training during the two year apprenticeship.
- Fire and Safety
- Guns and Equipment
- Handling of Vehicle Components
- Surface Preparation
- Restoring Corrosion Protection
- Understanding Topcoat Materials
- Characteristics of Chemical Additives
- Theory of Colour
- Paint Repairs
- Tri Coat Applications
- Paint Problems
- Treatment of Plastics
- Management of V.O.C. regulations
- Future Trends of the Twenty First Century
- For tuition information visit Apprenticeship Tuition Fees.
- Students must supply approved safety boots and coveralls.
- Income support for apprentices attending technician-training courses is provided by Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) through regular employment insurance eligibility.
- For financial and other useful documents visit Important Documents
The Automotive Refinishing apprentice will write the Red Seal Examination on the last day of technical training. Successful completion grants the apprentice with the Certificate of Qualification as a Red Seal Automotive Painter and Refinisher.
Red Seal certified workers can work anywhere in Canada where their trade is designated. Labour mobility is essential for the Canadian workforce. For skilled tradespeople, the Red Seal is the recognized passport to mobility in trades across Canada.
How to Apply
Applications can be completed online here or over the phone. There is no application fee.
Click here to view the apprenticeship schedule.
(250) 762-5445 (Local 4880)
Toll Free: 1-800-621-3038