Certified Dental Assistant
Becoming a Certified Dental Assistant
Our program prepares you for a career as a Certified Dental Assistant by providing you with credentials required for registration with the College of Dental Surgeons of B.C. Our program is fully accredited by the Commission of Dental Accreditation of Canada. Graduates earn a certificate from the Okanagan College Certified Dental Assistant Program.
Our goal is to prepare competent and confident graduates in performing the skills of a Certified Dental Assistant.
Certified Dental Assistant Skills:
- Assisting dentists with intra-oral procedures
- Educating patients about dental health
- Performing preventative procedures such as polishing teeth, applying fluoride, application of fissure sealants, exposing and processing radiographs
- Many other delegated services
The Certified Dental Assistant is a vital member of the dental team performing duties under the personal supervision of a dentist. Responsibilities are varied to help increase the dentist's service to patients.
A Successful Certified Dental Assistant:
- Assumes responsibilities for professional legal and ethical standards
- Appreciates others and respects cultural diversity in an organization
- Works responsibly and with self regulation
- Demonstrates self-direction, flexibility, and higher thinking skills
- Open to innovative ways and means of learning new knowledge, values and skills
- Conducts themselves with ethical and moral standards
- Values personal health and well being
- Manages time effectively
- Demonstrates hand eye coordination and fine motor skills and dexterity
- Interacts positively in a team environment