Office of the Registrar

T2202 collection information

Why is Okanagan College asking for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

Effective the 2019 tax year, all post-secondary institutions are required to provide the Canada Revenue Agency with students' Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) on Form T2202 (Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate). A T2202 is produced for all students at Okanagan College who are registered in credit courses.

Further information on the eligibility of education and textbook amounts can be found on the Canada Revenue Agency’s website.

More information about authorized federal uses of the SIN can be found here.

Where can I enter my SIN in the College's system?

To enter your SIN in the College's system, please visit this link. You will be prompted to login to your myOkanagan account if you have not already done so. You can also find the link to enter your SIN on the Personal Information section within the Self-service area of your myOkanagan account.

What if I need to update my SIN in the College’s system?

If you have noticed we have your incorrect SIN on file or you need to update your SIN, you will need to provide us with the updated number in person at the Registrar’s Office in the Student Services building at the Kelowna campus or the administrative office at the Salmon Arm, Vernon, or Penticton campuses. Be sure to bring one valid piece of government issued photo ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport) and your SIN confirmation letter with you so that we can update your records accordingly.

I don’t have a SIN. How can I apply for one?

There is no fee to apply for a SIN. The easiest way to do this is to visit a Service Canada Office. In Kelowna, the closest office is located at:

471 Queensway Ave., Suite 106
Kelowna, B.C.

If you are not in Kelowna, you can locate a Service Canada office at the Service Canada website.

Information about how to apply for your SIN card is located on the Government of Canada’s Employment and Social Development website.

I misplaced or can’t remember my SIN. What should I do?

The easiest way to access your SIN is to consult your most recent Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency. If this isn’t available, you can request a confirmation of SIN from Service Canada. The Government of Canada’s Employment and Social Development website will provide you with details on what documentation you will need to request a confirmation.

I am a non-resident of Canada. Am I required to provide a SIN?

If you are a non-resident of Canada, you are not required to provide a SIN. The Canada Revenue Agency’s definition of a non-resident for tax purposes can be found here.