Research Ethics Board
The Research Ethics Board (REB) meets monthly, except in August, to discuss applications for ethical approval relating to research at the Okanagan College.
Application Date: Friday, Sep. 4, 2020
Meeting Date: Friday, Sep. 18, 2020
Application Date: Friday, Oct. 2, 2020
Meeting Date: Friday, Oct. 16, 2020
Application Date: Friday, Oct 30, 2020
Meeting Date: Friday, Nov. 13, 2020
Application Date: Friday, Nov. 27, 2020
Meeting Date: Friday, Dec. 11, 2020
Application Date: Friday, Jan. 8, 2021
Meeting Date: Friday, Jan. 22, 2021
Application Date: Friday, Feb. 5, 2021
Meeting Date: Friday, Feb. 19, 2021
Application Date: Friday, Mar. 5, 2021
Meeting Date: Friday, Mar. 19, 2021
Application Date: Friday, Apr. 2, 2021
Meeting Date: Friday, Apr. 16, 2021
Application Date: Friday, Apr. 30, 2021
Meeting Date: Friday, May 14, 2021
Application Date: Friday, Jun. 4, 2021
Meeting Date: Friday, Jun. 18, 2021
Application Date: Friday, Jul. 2, 2021
Meeting Date: Friday, Jul. 16, 2021
Resources and forms
Frequently Asked Questions
- If your research involves humans then it requires REB approval
- May involve asking subjects to participate in questionnaires, interviews, focus groups, testing, observation, video and audio taping
- Subjects may be OC faculty, staff, students or administration or the public
- Research involving human biological materials, as well as human embryos, fetuses fetal tissues, stem cells etc.
- Class projects requiring students to conduct research involving human subjects
- Anyone not affiliated with OC who wants to conduct research at OC must submit an application for review on OC forms
- Requires a letter of permission from the OC department or administrative unit responsible for the space or resources to be used
- If research is done elsewhere and is associated with OC then REB approval is required
- If faculty are working at OC but taking time to do graduate studies then OC requires documentation of REB approval. Additionally, a cover letter stating that the faculty member is conducting the research on their own time and separate from OC is required.
- Information gathering activities that:
- Produces data that may be used for publication
- May be used to increase current knowledge
- Is done with participants unaware
- Involve “at risk” participants
- Is conducted such that individuals may be identified
All forms are found on the REB policies and forms web page for Okanagan College. Please complete the form titled, Research Ethics Board, Application for Ethical Review via the link below.
Complete your application!
Submissions should be sent to:
Research Ethics Board
Attn: Colette Martin
1000 KLO Road
Kelowna, BC V1Y 4X8
Phone: 250-762-5445 ext. 4736
The committee reviews the application and comes back with a verdict of:
- approved without amendments
- conditional approval with clarifications
- not approved. If approved a REB certificate will be created for the project. They are valid for one year but a renewal is possible.
If approved, a REB certificate will be created for the project. They are valid for one year but a renewal is possible, if requested. If the project is conditionally approved, then changes must be made to the application. The Chair of the committee will contact you with those changes recommended by the committee. The corrections are submitted to the chair and assistant, who distributes it to the committee to check. If acceptable, a certificate of ethical acceptability is sent to you from the committee assistant. A project that is rejected can be rewritten and resubmitted or it is possible for the applicant to appeal the REB committee’s decision.