International Education

Travel planning for International students travelling to Canada

Please note

Okanagan College strongly recommends that all international students planning to travel to Canada fully understand the Government of Canada and BC Government laws and regulations before making travel plans. Please note that Government and regulations are subject to change.  Check for the most up-to-date information often and prior to travelling.

Travel planning

Before you arrive

Use ArriveCAN for a faster border experience.  Before you travel, use the ArriveCAN app to submit your travel and health details in the 72 hours before you arrive to Canada. 

All international students planning on travelling to Canada for the purpose of studying at Okanagan College (OC) may submit their travel plan to Okanagan College International by submitting the Travel Support Letter request below.

To request a "Travel Support Letter", submit your travel plans by clicking the button below.

 Submit Your Travel Plan Here 

Students should plan to arrive to Canada with enough time to complete a 14-day quarantine in case it is required and before the in-person orientation and in-person classes begin. 

Carefully read all details on this page first:

  1. Determine your eligibility to travel and enter Canada.  You must have approval for a Study Permit and Entry Visa and be registered to start your classes within 21 days after arriving.
  2. Book your flights making sure to arrive with enough time to quarantine in case it is required, and attend the required in-person orientation and start of face-to-face classes.
  3. Book accommodations that are suitable to quarantine (in case it is required).
  4. Purchase early arrival medical insurance from for all days that you are travelling and in Canada before the first day of first month of the semester start.
  5. Submit your travel quarantine plan at least 10 days prior to travelling to Okanagan College International Education (OCIE). If eligible, you will be provided a letter of support for travelling to Canada within 1 week before departure date.
  6. Request your travel support letter by completing your quarantine plan at the button above.
  7. Submit the required travel details using the ArriveCAN app. (Government of Canada) before travelling.

When booking your flight to Canada, be sure to book a connecting flight directly to your final destination airport in Kelowna (YLW) or Penticton (YYF).  It is advisable to book flights with the least number of connections. Direct to Vancouver as your port of entry to Canada is ideal.

OC requires all students have valid medical insurance before the date of travel.

As part of your quarantine plan, if you are entering Canada as an OC student for the first time, you need to purchase the early arrival medical coverage from our portal. 

How to purchase the early arrival coverage: 

  1. Make sure you have a credit card to complete the transaction
  2. Access the Early Arrivals - Okanagan College |
  3. Enter your student number and Date of Birth
  4. Fill out your Travel Information 
  5. Fill out Coverage Dates (Start Date’ is your departure date and ‘End Date’ is December 31 – the fee is $2 CAD per day) 
  6. Check off the agreement boxes and click ‘Submit’ 
  7. You can review the Policy Summary and Wording in many languages
  8. To complete, click on ‘Purchase’ 
  9. If you have dependents, you can add them to your policy after by clicking ‘Dependents’ - Okanagan College | 

Please be aware OCIE will enroll all newly arrived students with coverage for the first semester and until BC MSP is confirmed (note: $250 charge will show on your OC student account).

Upon arrival in BC you must apply for BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). View the guide below or contact us at

Returning/current students, please make sure your MSP coverage is active and valid.

  • Pack enough clothes for 10 days as you will not have access to laundry facilities until after the isolation period
  • Bring enough toiletries for 10 days
  • Bring your own electronic devices (laptop, tablet, cellular phone, etc.) as you will not be permitted to leave your room for 10 days, except to seek medical assistance
  • Report by email to the OC International Settlement and Support team confirming your arrival and completion of 10-day quarantine upon receiving your final COVID test result
  • If you feel unwell or exhibit COVID-19 symptoms, please call HealthLink BC at 8-1-1 for guidance, and notify International Education immediately
  • You will not be permitted to have any guests to your room during the quarantine period
  • Check-in within 48 hours of arrival through the ArriveCAN app or call 1-833-641-0343


If you need assistance or have questions with regard to your travel or quarantine plan, please send an email to 

Use the iCent app to book a virtual appointment with an International Student Settlement and Support Service team member.

To get in touch with other International Education Staff such as an International Education Advisor (Academic), International Student Immigration Advisor or International Student Recruiter, visit Meet the Team.