Transforming lives and communities
Inside OC serves as the biweekly newsletter for the Okanagan College community, both internally and externally. We aim to provide you with the latest OC news, media and updates in a fun and engaging way that lands in your inbox every other Tuesday.
Sign up for Inside OC email newsletter
Read the latest
Generations of care, Human Service Work students filling sought-after profession
Though still a relative newcomer to the profession, OC graduate Fawn Herrington is passionate about her work in the social services field.
After navigating the end of a job as a dental assistant, she felt the need in 2014 to take an online career assessment. That pointed her in the direction of human service work, and she enrolled in Okanagan College’s Human Service Work diploma, graduating two years later in 2016. Now – witness to her mom’s career – Fawn’s daughter Jaden Lee is set to take the same two-year program this September.
“I felt so ill equipped and uneducated to deal with these challenges,” says Herrington, referring to the mountain of unanswered questions about health and social issues she was navigating with her own family in 2014. “My daughter and I spent many nights in deep discussion about how to best support her health and others her age. But I wanted to do more, learn more, be educated more and be the person and support an individual or youth could count on.”
With the launch of OC's new website, here are a few helpful tips to get you on your way to navigating with ease.
Culinary and Pastry Arts is excited to now offer Infusions lunch takeout. The inaugural launch of our new online ordering and takeout program…
Okanagan College is monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation on a minute-by-minute basis and will be sharing pertinent information for…
In light of recent concerns regarding security and the relatively limited in-person traffic on campuses, beginning Monday, March 30, the College…
Media Top 10
Stay up to date with OC stories in the news
- B.C. announces $4.4M for health-care education, training - Castanet, CTV News, Academica
- Reduced transit for the fall - Kelowna Capital News, Castanet
- Okanagan College graduate shares human services career story - Castanet
- College's CEA program delivers prepared grads despite pandemic - Castanet
- OC Alumna Danielle Walker named to Kelowna Chamber of Commerce's 40 Under 40 list - Kelowna Capital News
- Summer writing program ideal for seniors - Penticton Herald
- Ready to go 'back to school', OC graduate Toby Griffin shares her story - Vernon Morning Star
- Meet BEEPS summer students at the market - Peachland View
- A stone in focus, a multimedia art collaboration - Revelstoke Mountaineer
- Honour Roll student pursues business degree - Osoyoos Times