International Education Week
KelownaPentictonVernonSalmon ArmRevelstoke CentreVirtual
What is International Education Week?
International Education Week (Nov. 16-20) is an annual celebration of the importance of international education and exchange programs. This week is celebrated worldwide by over 100 countries to strengthen the understanding of international education and its importance. The international education and exchange program offers a great opportunity for people to study in a global setting and embrace international and intercultural learning experience. Through this event, OC community and students share intercultural experiences and the positive impacts of diversity and International Education.
Virtual World Scavenger Hunt
Travel the world with us from the comfort of home to answer questions and clues in our Virtual World Scavenger Hunt. Submit answers to email@example.com by 4 p.m. on Nov. 20 to be entered in a draw to win a prize.
Let’s go on a safari in South Africa!
- Which animal appears on the wall at the entrance to the park?
- Name the tallest animal that appears in this video.
- How many antelope cross the road?
- Which reptile smiles at the camera?
Virtually hike to the top of Machu Picchu, the ancient city of the Inca Empire
- Hike up to the top of Huyana Picchu mount and look across to find the height of Machu Picchu mount. How high is it?
- What does Intihuatana mean? Hint: you need to visit the Royal Palace.
- True or false: there is a hotel at Machu Picchu.
Tour Mexico City from above in a helicopter
- Head up to the sky. What is the name of the extinct volcano?
- Find an angel. What is her name?
- There is a building shaped like an arch. What is its name?
Take a trip to the desert and the city of Abu Dhabi
- What colour is the ferarri featured at Ferrari World?
- Name the third animal shown at the zoo.
- How high up is the observation deck featured in the video?
- What is the name of the surfable sheet wave?
- Name three activities you can do in the desert.
Take a tour through the rice paddies and mountains of Ninh Binh in Vietnam
- Use your computer mouse to move and have a look around. What do the boatmen and women in Tam Coc row with? Hint! You’ll have to click on an information button to find out.
- Find the laughing Buddha. In which section of the tour will you find it?
- These birds stand tall on the backs of turtles in front of a temple. What are they?
- Climb the stone steps up to the top of Bai Dinh Pagoda. How many steps are there?
Get some fresh air on a hike through Yosemite National Park
- You won’t find a pool here, but this board is one that would be challenging to get to! Hike up to find one of the most spectacular viewpoints in Yosemite. What is the name of it?
- Find a beautiful sandy beach on the edge of a lake. What is the name of this lake?
These aren't part of the scavenger hunt, but you might want to explore these places virtually in your spare time!
- Check out this live cam and you may be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the famous aurora borealis (Northern Lights).
- Take a walking tour through the sacred Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park in Australia.
- Attend a virtual comedy show in New York, or sign up for a free 7-day trial to watch a Broadway show from home!
- Visit the animals at the San Diego Zoo.
- Escape to an island paradise in Anguilla through their live cams.
- Take a peek at a live African watering hole.
- Take a wild virtual ride in Disney World.
My View, My World photo contest
Share a piece of you and your world. Send us a photo of you and your window view, backyard or your favourite spot for a chance to win some awesome prizes. Submissions must include your name, country and a brief description of your 2020 experiences to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to submit is Nov. 16. Share on social media and tag #ociew2020 for extra draw entries!
2019 winner - Jenny Landis
Jenny shared the photo above last year: The Philosophers Way winter walks along the water, when you are aware it will be hard to not see (Heidelberg, Germany).
Goat cheese hummus
Mexican folk dance
International student experiences
OC international students share their experiences about living and learning in the Okanagan.