Esthetics and Nail Technology Certificate
Delivery Style: Blended
September - June: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., and one Saturday per month
Fall 2020 intake: theory online and practical skills in class.
This program is student loan eligible.
Share this programEmail Print
In this 43-week (1,100-hour) program, students gain the skills and knowledge necessary to be successful in the field of professional Esthetics and Nail Technology. Students learn the latest industry techniques for a wide range of treatments including spa level manicures and pedicures, artificial nail enhancements, skin care and facials, waxing essentials, aromatherapy, reflexology, relaxation and hot stone massage, body scrubs and wraps, eye lash and brow tinting and make-up foundations. A blend of theory and practical application ensures the graduates are prepared to work in day spas, destination spas, on a cruise ship, or in their own entrepreneurial venture.
In addition to obtaining Okanagan College certification, students will be prepared for membership with industry associations should they choose to pursue them.
Sherri McCarthy began her career in the esthetics industry over 20 years ago and has been involved in many aspects of the industry including nail technician, esthetician, salon and spa owner and manager. Sherri joined Okanagan College’s Spa Training Centre four years ago after completing the provincial instructor diploma and having eight years’ experience teaching in the field of esthetics. Sherri is a passionate and enthusiastic instructor with a natural ability to inspire others. Sherri believes the most rewarding part of teaching in this exciting industry is sharing her knowledge and making a difference in the lives of students.
Missy MacKintosh is an internationally acclaimed professional makeup artist. Her work featured in Cosmopolitan, Huffington Post, or Daily Mail, while transforming Disney Inspired Photo into Disney’s iconic Villains. Graduated from Blanche McDonald Center and Make Up For Ever Academy – Paris, she has over 15 years of experience. Missy has worked on countless international publications, campaigns, and has an extensive background in cosmetic retailing working for companies such as Make Up For Ever and Nars. Known for her creativity and perfectionism, Missy is constantly pushing herself to think outside of the box and try new techniques.
- PreEmpt Infection Control certification
- Dermalogica additional workshops via d-streaming and Clean Touch certification
- Makeup Foundations taught by Missy MacKintosh of MisMacK Clean Cosmetic
- Daily, responsive instructor support as well as support from other program staff
- Dedicated online and in-person student supports (Aboriginal, Accessibility, Counselling and Library Services)
- Industry field trips, guest speakers and ESI International Spa Tradeshow
- B.C. secondary school graduation or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for at least one year as of the first day of classes.
- A scheduled mandatory meeting with Esthetics and Nail Technology staff to discuss their interest in the industry, to clarify program requirements and to provide counselling on entry into the program.
Students must pass the practicum and achieve a minimum grade of 70 per cent in all other courses of the program.
Join a virtual info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.