Quarantine plan for International students travelling to Canada
This information is for all new and current Okanagan College students who are currently outside Canada and planning to travel to Canada to pursue studies at Okanagan College. If you are making plans to come to Canada please let us know as soon as possible by contacting Okanagan College International Education by emailing email@example.com .
The 14-day quarantine plan is required by law under Canada's current travel restrictions.
Note: all steps must be completed prior to travelling to Canada and ideally 3-4 weeks in advance of your departure.
- Send an email to OC International to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us that you are intending to travel to Canada.
- Cultural Liaisons and settlement staff are available to help and will review your quarantine plan. Book an appointment online to speak with a Cultural Liaison or contact email@example.com.
Prepare to show us you have the following as part of your quarantine plan:
- Study permit: You must have a valid study permit or have been approved for a study permit. See the list of DLIs with approved COVID-19 readiness plans.
- Medical coverage: Confirm you have valid medical insurance coverage with MSP (returning students) or purchase Guardme insurance starting from the day you arrive in Canada.
- Accommodations for quarantine: Book and/or confirm a suitable accommodation for your 14 day quarantine period.
- Flight itinerary: When booking your flights to Canada, make sure you book a connecting flight to Kelowna (YLW).
- OC Quarantine Plan form: Submit your OC Quarantine Plan to the International Education office.
Before you travel
- Federal ArriveCAN Application: Submit your arrival info to the Government of Canada using the app for travellers entering Canada and submit your quarantine contact information.
- Visit the BC Self-Quarantine website to review the B.C. Government requirements and know what to expect at the point of entry to B.C. or the Canadian border.
Letter of support
Okanagan College can issue letters of support to international students who are registered in the upcoming semester and have an approved study permit eligible for travel to travel to Canada. A travel support letter will be e-mailed from International Education within three business days after your quarantine plan is approved and all documents are received. We will then send you the following documents.
- Travel to Canada Letter of Support
- Letter of Acceptance
- Current course registration
Returning and current students:
- Travel to Canada Letter of Support
- Copy of unofficial transcript
Timing of travel to Canada
Travel to Canada is not recommend mid-semester as this may be disruptive to your studies. Should you need to travel mid-semester, please make sure to book your trip outside of your scheduled class time and be prepared in case of travel delays.
When booking your flight to Canada, please make sure you book a connecting flight directly to Kelowna (YLW). It is much simpler, faster, and safer to fly directly to Kelowna, rather than flying to Vancouver and then travelling to Kelowna with a separate flight or other arrangements.
Arrival in Kelowna and quarantine requirements
Transportation to your quarantine location
Travel only by airport-approved taxi from the Kelowna International Airport to your quarantine location ensuring physical distancing measure at all times and do not share rides with other travelers. For homestay and hotel quarantine, transportation will be arranged for you. Taxis at the airport are prepared to transport international travelers under isolation measures.
Local Kelowna taxi companies include:
- Kelowna Cabs 250-762-2222
- Current Taxi 250-864-8294
- West Cabs 778-754-8888
*Please record your taxi and driver information as it may be collected for contact tracing.
Accommodation for your 14-day quarantine
You will be required legally to check in to your individual room and remain there in quarantine for 14 days. OC International will assist you with implementing your quarantine plan. To ensure your preferences, the best possible rates and availability, please let us know as early as possible in your planning.
Hampton Inn and Suites by Hilton and Four Points by Sheraton are a group of new hotels conveniently located near the Kelowna airport, offering 14-night minimum self-quarantine period stay including 3 meals per day. Packages include accommodation, high-speed Internet access, along with breakfast, lunch and dinner delivered to your room. Transportation from the Kelowna airport (YLW) to the hotel is included.
- Hampton Inn: $1,666 ($119/night) + $266 taxes (16%) = $1,933
- Four Points: $1,806 ($129/night) + $289 taxes (16%) = $2,095
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
OC International has a great network of Host families that can provide affordable accommodation to meet your needs. All fees must be paid in advance of placement and availability may be limited.
- Short stay for 14-day self-quarantine period including 3 meals per day and snacks. Transportation to your homestay from the airport will be arranged and you will be placed in a home in your private bedroom with a separate bathroom. The all included cost is $1,000 (limited spaces available).
- For those looking to live in homestay longer term for the semester (a minimum 2 months), regular rates apply for homestay ($800 per month + placement fee $200 = $3,400 for 1 semester) including 3 meals per day and the self-quarantine fee may be waived. Meals are still included. Contact email@example.com for details and availability. Visit the homestay website.
What to expect during quarantine period
- Pack enough clothes for 14 days because you will not have access to laundry facilities until after the isolation period
- Bring enough toiletries for 14 days
- Bring your own electronic devices (laptop, tablet, cellular phone, etc.) as you will not be permitted to leave your room for 14 days, except to seek medical assistance
- Expect a regular check in from the International Settlement and Support team to ensure that you are healthy and that you have everything you need and that you are adhering to your quarantine plan.
- If you feel unwell or exhibit COVID-19 symptoms, please call HealthLink BC at 811 for guidance, and notify International Education immediately
- You will not be allowed to have any guests during the quarantine period
- Check in within 48 hours of arrival through the ArriveCAN app or call 1-833-641-0343.
What do do if you become sick
- If you become ill, call 8-1-1 to talk to a nurse at Healthlink BC for advice on your symptoms and what you should do next.
- 8-1-1 has translation services in 130 languages
- You can also self-monitor your health using the BC COVID-19 App
- Contact your International Student Settlement and Support staff member for additional support
If you need assistance or have questions with regard to your travel or quarantine plan, please send us a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting:
- To book an appointment to have a live chat with an International Student Settlement and Support Service team member
- To get in touch with other International Education Staff such as an International Education Advisor (Academic), International Student Immigration Advisor or International Student Recruiter, visit Meet the Team.
Use the iCent app to connect with us and book a virtual appointment today!