Computer Information Systems Diploma
|Campus||Vernon (Sep), Kelowna (Sep)|
This program is student loan eligible.
Students at the Vernon campus must take this full time. Part time study is not an option.
Students will not be able to transfer or take courses at another campus without explicit approval from the dean’s office. The student will have to apply to the Kelowna campus if they wish to transfer or opt into BCIS.
Share this programEmail Print
Learn technical aspects of computer information systems, including software development, database systems and systems analysis. Develop software for computers, websites and mobile applications. Collect and manage data to design models for technological solutions.
Tuition and Fees
- Fees listed are for first year (two semesters) for a typical, full-time student taking five courses per semester. Depending on the campus and the courses selected fees may vary.
- Fees include all mandatory fees: Activity fee, Health & Dental, Student Association fee, Education Technology fee, Development fee.
- All amounts are approximate and are subject to change.
- International students will pay International tuition fees
The Computer Information Systems diploma is a two-year program which includes a broad selection of computing, mathematics, business, and communications courses so graduates can function successfully in a variety of roles in a business organization, high-technology company, or government department. These roles include entry-level positions as computer programmer, programmer/analyst, business systems designer/developer/analyst, web designer/developer and database architect/administrator.
The courses in the diploma are grouped into required courses and elective courses.
The program is available as a co-op program. The department recommends participating in co-op between the third and fourth academic semesters if possible. Taking co-op work terms will lengthen the program to approximately three years.
Graduates of this program may proceed directly to the Bachelor of Computer Information Systems degree or, after completing some extra courses, to a Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
The diploma prepares graduates for roles in entry-level positions:
- Software Developer
- Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Quality Assurance Analyst
- Data Scientist
- IT Consultant
B.C. secondary school graduation or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for one year as of the first day of classes.
English 12 with minimum 60% or alternatives.
A minimum of 60% in any of:
- Pre-calculus Grade 12
- Principles of Mathematics 12
- Adult Basic Education MATH 012
- Okanagan College MATH 120
Or a minimum of 67% in any of:
- Pre-calculus Grade 11
- Foundations of Mathematics Grade 12
- Foundations of Mathematics Grade 11
- Principles of Mathematics 11
- Applications of Mathematics 11
- Applications of Mathematics 12
- Adult Basic Education MATH 011
- Adult Basic Education MATH 084 and MATH 085
- Adult Basic Education IALG 011
or a minimum of 70% in any of:
- An Okanagan College Mathematics 11 Proficiency Test
- An Okanagan College Mathematics 12 Proficiency Test
Other Requirements: Attendance at a mandatory orientation. Applicants will be notified of dates.
Keyboarding Skills: Keyboarding skills of at least 20 wpm are strongly recommended.
Access to a Personal Computer: Students entering this program are strongly advised to have access to a personal computer at home with Internet access, both with adequate resources for this level of study. Students may consult the Computer Science Department for hardware and software recommendations.
Personal Suitability: Prospective applicants should consider assessing their suitability for the program by researching Computer Information Systems.
Students must complete 60 credits of required and elective courses as listed with a minimum graduating grade average of 60%.
Join a virtual info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.