Please note, this program has been postponed to September 2021.
The Common First Year Engineering Certificate program provides the opportunity to study first-year Engineeing (Applied Science) at Okanagan College. All courses must be taken at Okanagan College within a 12-month period. Students completing the Common First Year Engineering Certificate are able to apply to some B.C. university's second year Engineering (Applied Science) Degree programs.
Graduation from the Common First Year Engineering Certificate program requires successful completion of all courses in the program outline with a minimum graduating grade average of 70%. Successful completion of individual courses requires a minimum grade of 50% with some courses requiring a higher minimum grade to be acceptable as prerequisites for subsequent courses at various institutions. Minimum graduating grade average for acceptance at receiving institutions will vary.
Upon successful completion of this program students will be able to:
- Develop a knowledge base for engineering
- Analyze and solve problems while applying engineering knowledge
- Conduct investigations into various complex problems
- Design solutions for complex problems
- Create, adapt and apply various engineering tools
- Work effectively in teams and as an individual
- Communicate complex engineering problems and solutions with professionals and the public
- Understand the roles and responsibility of a professional engineer
- Evaluate sustainable/environmental engineering solutions
- Apply professional ethics and accountability
- Understand introductory project management and the economic drivers of construction projects
- Develop a base for computer programming.
Evaluate sustainable and environmental engineering solutions, explore project management and learn about economic drivers of construction projects. Understand the roles and responsibilities of a professional engineer, including ethics and accountability.
Students completing the Common First Year Engineering Certificate are able to apply to second-year Engineering degree programs at various B.C. universities, depending on your final GPA.
B.C. secondary school graduation or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for at least one year as of the first day of classes.
English Entrance Requirement:
- English 12 with minimum 67% or alternatives.
Math Entrance Requirements:
A minimum of 67% in any of:
- Pre-calculus Grade 12
- Adult Basic Education MATH 012
- Okanagan College MATH 120
Science Entrance Requirements:
A minimum of 67% in:
- Chemistry 12
- Physics 12
All of the above courses must have been completed in the last two (2) years in order to ensure that the student has recent knowledge of the materials contained in these courses.
Graduation from the Common First Year Engineering Certificate requires the completion of the 39 required credits within a 12 month period, with a minimum 70% GGA.
Come for a campus tour or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.