Commercial Helicopter Pilot Certificate
- Full program offered
- Partial program offered
- International students eligible
Tuition and fees
2023-24: ~$69,000 (two semesters plus 12 academic credits)
This program is student loan eligible. View Financial Aid & Awards
All amounts are approximate and are subject to change.
The Commercial Helicopter Pilot Certificate (CHPC) will complement the objectives of the Commercial Aviation program, allowing students from both airplane and helicopter courses to share common ground school courses. This will educate students with the unique challenges of operating helicopters in Canada and internationally.
This certificate follows the Transport Canada approved curriculum and shares courses with the Commercial Aviation Diploma. This includes fundamentals and advanced skills required for commercial helicopter pilots. Students will complete the program with the skills to take the Transport Canada Commercial Helicopter Pilots written and flight tests.
Okanagan College continues to incorporate business development skills with aviation course so students can advance their professionalism and work ethic within future career positions. By blending commercial helicopter pilot training skills with the Okanagan College School of Business, graduates will enter the industry with more advanced education than that of a general pilot.
This certificate will require two full semesters over one year with a total of 40 credits.
Graduates that successfully complete the Transport Canada written and in flight exams and accumulate a minimum of 100 hours of flight time, will be ready for employment as commercial helicopter pilots.
|Kelowna||Sep. 06, 2023|
- B.C. secondary school graduation (or its equivalent), or mature student status.
- English 12 with minimum 60% or alternatives.
- Students graduating from secondary school in or prior to 2012:
- Principles of Mathematics 11, or an equivalent Advanced Level Adult Basic Education mathematics course; or a minimum grade of 70% in Introductory Mathematics 11; or a minimum grade of 60% in Applications of Mathematics 11.
- Students entering Grade 10 in or after 2010 and/or completing the new mathematics curriculum:
- A minimum of 60% in one of Pre-calculus Grade 11, Foundations of Mathematics Grade 11, or Apprenticeship and Workplace Mathematics Grade 11, Workplace Mathematics 11, or the equivalent Advanced Level Adult Basic Education mathematics course.
- Category 1 Aviation Medical.
- Letter of recommendation from the Okanagan Mountain Helicopters FTU indicating successful completion of a personal interview, and proof of financial ability.
- Weight restriction of 200 lb or less, due to aircraft weight limitations.
Required Academic Courses
Successful completion of the required courses as listed in the program outline with a minimum graduating grade average of 60% and a letter from Okanagan Mountain Helicopters indicating satisfactory completion of aviation theory courses and Transport Canada Commercial Pilot License.
View the official Calendar details and policies
Learn more about the department
View the Tuition and fees page
Join an info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.