The health & safety of our students is Okanagan College’s primary concern. Due to the ongoing risks associated with COVID-19, and to discourage international travel, the Canadian Government has increased travel restrictions making it more complicated and expensive to enter Canada at this time.
Before deciding to travel, we urge you to consider the safety concerns, extra costs involved, and the longer, more complicated travel routing and quarantine requirements.
- A pre-departure negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours will be required for all air travellers coming to Canada starting on January 7, 2021.
- In addition to proof of a negative pre-departure test, all international travellers will be required to take a molecular (PCR) test on arrival starting on February 3, 2021.
- Students will be required to stay in a government approved hotel for 3 days while waiting for a negative COVID-19 test. If the test is negative you can continue with your quarantine according to your plan (family, alternate hotel, etc.). Note: You must complete your 14 day quarantine even if your arrival test is negative. The list of approved quarantine hotels has not yet been published.
- If your test is positive, you will be required to stay in quarantine at the government approved hotel for the full 14 days.
- Testing and Hotel expenses are estimated to be $2,000 CAD or more. These expenses will come out of your own pocket. Be sure to bring financial support document to demonstrate that you have enough funds available to pay for these additional testing and hotel costs.
- International travellers are able to enter via air through Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal airports ONLY.
- The ultimate authority allowing students into the country rests with the Canadian Border Services Agency. If you choose to travel to Canada, it is your responsibility to provide proof that you’re eligible.
Until travel restrictions change, please consider continuing to study from your current location as it is not necessary to travel for your studies at this time. We will continue to update this website as new information is released and look forward to welcoming you when it is less complicated and cost-prohibitive to travel. Transport Canada Press Release 29-Jan-2021