The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant provides direct support to apprentices in the first two years of an approved apprenticeship training program (Red Seal trades). The taxable grant is $1,000 for Level 1 and $1,000 for Level 2. This grant is only available after you have completed the specified level of technical training and have a specific number of work-based hours on your ITA transcript.
Bakers prepare doughs, batters and other ingredients and then produce items such as bread, buns, cakes, pies, cookies and other baked goods.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fees for each individual level of apprenticeship training:
- Tuition Only: $466.64
- Ancillary Fees - College: $53.40
- Ancillary Fees - Student Association: $16.68
- Health and Dental: N/A
- Total Tuition: $536.72
- occupational skills
- fermented goods
- cakes and cookies
- decorate and finish baked goods
- chocolate and confectionary
- Professional Baking: $129.79
- SG Professional Baking: $43.99
- The Pastry Chef’s Companion: $22.29
Note: 5% GST is not included in the price, and prices are subject to change. Textbooks are available at the OC Bookstore by calling 250-762-5445, ext. 4586, or ordering online.
- pants (elastic or zipper)
- white chef’s jacket
- white apron
- white pillbox hat
- black non-slip shoes (mandatory for safety reasons, not steel-toed)
Tools and equipment:
- polycarbonate piping tip set
- 4” offset spatula
- 8” offset spatula
- 12” offset spatula
- nylon round cutter set
- nylon square cutter set
- 2 plating spoons
- plating tweezers
- 1” pastry brush
- 2” pastry brush
- measuring spoon set
- bench scraper
- digital timer
- digital instant read thermometer
- digital scale
- digital micro scale
- basic math calculator
- master combination lock for locker
- small personal notebook
- government-issued picture ID is required to write the provincial and national exams (driver’s licence, photo ID or valid passport) - student card is not acceptable
Optional supplies available at the OC Bookstore:
- uniform checkered pants (choice of elastic or zipper): $35
- jacket – unisex: $40 (for sizes 2XL and up, add $5-10)
- jacket – women’s: $50 (for sizes 2XL and up, add $5-10)
- Culinary bundle (includes 5 towels, 1 black pillbox hat, 2 striped bib aprons, 2 white bib aprons): $97.99
- Registered as an apprentice with ITA BC.
- Must have valid Foodsafe Level 1 certification.
- Must be working for an employer with at least one qualified journeyperson.
- Not registered as an apprentice? Ask your employer to register you as an apprentice with the Industry Training Authority (ITA). It’s free, simple, and can be completed within a few minutes online or printed and mailed to the ITA Head Office. More details can be found at www.itabc.ca.
The Apprenticeship Completion Grant is a $3,000 taxable cash grant for apprentices who complete their apprenticeship training and obtain Red Seal endorsement or a provincial/territorial certificate of qualification in a designated Red Seal trade. Apprentices can apply twice; once after their first year of training, and one more time after their second year.
Note: this grant is not available to students in the Professional Cook and/or Baker Apprenticeship programs.
The Apprenticeship Completion Grant is a $2,000 taxable cash grant for apprentices who complete their apprenticeship training and obtain Red Seal endorsement or a provincial/territorial certificate of qualification in a designated Red Seal trade.
WorkBC Apprenticeship Supports
Apprentice financial supports are available to eligible apprentices while they’re completing their classroom apprenticeship training. Apprentices may be able for supports which cover costs such as child card, transportation, disability, and more. Once an apprentice completes the WorkBC application online, a 16-digit reference code will be emailed to them. Use the 16-digit reference code for the Service Canada EI application.
Service Canada EI Application
Apprentices attending full-time technical training (sometimes referred to as block-release training), they may be eligible to receive Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while unemployed and attending your course. Refer to the Service Canada website for application details.
Apprentices registered in a Red Seal trade apprenticeship program who meet the eligibility requirements may receive up to $4,000 in loans per period of technical training. The purpose of the CAL is to provide apprentices registered in Red Seal trades with loans to assist with the costs to attend technical training.
The LNG Canada Trades Training Fund is available for application by employers on behalf of their apprentices who are high-demand trades. Funding can be requested for apprenticeship training, foundation training as well as specialized, technical and managerial training. Only small companies with 20 employees or less, who are supporting apprenticeship in the demand trades, are eligible.
The federal government will now provide tax recognition for the costs that many employed tradespeople incur to provide their own tools in their employment duties. A deduction (up to a maximum of $500/year) will be allowed for the total cost of new tools acquired by an employed tradesperson in a tax year in excess of $1000. Employer will need to certify that the employee is required to obtain those tools for use in employment activities.
Apprentices who complete their third and four year of any apprenticeship program may be eligible for a tax credit. The apprentice will receive the tax credit when they file their annual income taxes. Apprentices will be eligible for a tax credit of $2,000 for completing Level 3 and a credit for $2,500 for completing Level 4 of any apprenticeship. For more information visit www.sbr.gov.bc.ca.
Your T2202A tax form is available online via myOkanagan on the last day of February.
To access your tax form:
- Login to myOkanagan
- Username: 300XXXXXX@stu.oc
- Password: birthdate (mmddyyyy) (you will be asked to update your password the first time you login)
- Click the "T2202A Tax Form" link under Online Services
If you have any problems accessing your myOkanagan account, please call IT Services at 1-866-839-4032 or complete an online myOkanagan password reset request.
Have your questions answered by a Trades and Apprenticeship staff member.
Register with the ITA prior to applying to an apprenticeship program.
Take the next step and enrol in an apprenticeship program at OC.