Administrative Assistant Certificate
In this program students learn a variety of skills from word processing, spreadsheets, database, desktop publishing, computerized accounting, and presentation software.
As a graduate of this program, you will be equipped with the business, communication, and technical skills required by today’s employers.
Share this programEmail Print
- Salmon Arm
- Full program offered
- Partial program offered
Tuition and fees
2023-24: $5,141.11 (Kelowna, Penticton, and Salmon Arm), $5,214.82 (Vernon)
Fees include all mandatory fees: Activity fee, Health & Dental, Student Association fee, Education Technology fee, Development fee.
- Only the in-class program is student loan eligible.
All amounts are approximate and are subject to change.
The Administrative Assistant Certificate program is a 1,098 hour (36.6 week) certificate program which includes word processing, spreadsheet, database, desktop publishing, computerized accounting, and presentation software. Students also learn business communications, business math, office procedures, effective job search techniques, accounting, and self-management skills. There is a three-week practicum component to this certificate.
The Administrative Assistant Certificate program is offered on campus as well as online. On-site students are normally enrolled full time; students wishing to take courses on campus on a part-time basis should consult with the department chair. Online students may complete the program part time.
Graduates may be employed as receptionists, general clerks, administrative or executive assistants, and other similar careers.
Graduates may also continue their education as the Administrative Assistant Certificate program is recognized by other programs such as the Okanagan College Legal Administrative and Medical Administrative Assistant Certificate programs. As well, select courses transfer to the Okanagan College Business Administration.
In-class delivery (37 weeks):
- uses class management software
- runs on a Mon - Fri 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. schedule
- instructor led by fully qualified, experienced post-secondary instructors
- are interactive and engaging
Distance Education online delivery (1,110 hours):
- flexible program that allows you to choose when you study and work on your course materials
- student-led and self-paced
- ability to contact your instructor for any course assistance or questions
You may start this program the first Monday of the month, every month except August and December.
|Kelowna||Sep. 06, 2023|
|Penticton||Sep. 06, 2023||
Online classroom delivery.
|Salmon Arm||Sep. 06, 2023||
Online classroom delivery.
|Vernon||Sep. 06, 2023|
- B.C. Secondary school graduation, or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for at least one year as of the first day of classes.
- English 11 with minimum 50% or alternatives; or a minimum score of 70% on an Okanagan College Office Administration English entrance test.
Prior Learning Assessment:
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) allows adults with considerable life and work experience to verify that they possess the skills and/or knowledge required in some university/college level courses and receive credit for those courses.
PLA is available in the following courses:
- Students who are in the Administrative Assistant program and pass OADM 165, 167, 169 and 128/129 may apply for equivalence for BUAD 128 Computer Applications I.
- Students who are in the Administrative Assistant or Accounting/Bookkeeping programs and pass OADM 143 and 142 may apply for equivalence for BUAD 111 Financial Accounting I.
- Students who are in the Administrative Assistant program and pass OADM 110, 111 and 181 may apply for equivalence for CMNS 112 Business Communication I.
- Students who are in the Accounting/Bookkeeping program and pass OADM 145, 169A and 169B may apply for equivalence for BUAD 128 Computer Applications I.
- Students who are in the Accounting/Bookkeeping program and pass OADM 144 may apply for equivalence for BUAD 121 Financial Accounting II.
Minimum passing grade per course is 70%.
View the official Calendar details and policies
Learn more about the department
View the Tuition and fees page
Join an info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.