|Campus||Distance (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Sep, Oct, Nov), Kelowna (Sep)|
Only the in-class program is student loan eligible.
You may start this program the first Monday of the month: September - November or January - March
Please check with an advisor for Distance education options.
Share this programEmail Print
Interested in becoming an accounting assistant or bookkeeper? You’ll learn how to perform accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and general bookkeeping duties. Graduates emerge equipped with relevant accounting knowledge, able to work for small, medium, or large companies.
Graduates of this program will have the opportunity to fast track towards the nationally recognized Certified Professional Bookkeeper (CPB) designation. Students will also have access to a preferred student membership rate, full of member benefits that will provide access to continuing education and networking opportunities with bookkeeping professionals across Canada.
Tuition and Fees
This 660-hour (22-week) program is for students who wish to be accounting assistants or bookkeepers. During the program, students complete courses in business math and calculators, spreadsheets, payroll, manual and computerized accounting, and accounting office procedures, as well as a capstone course, and a three-week practicum. Graduates of the program may begin immediate employment as accounting assistants in small, medium and large businesses performing accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and general bookkeeping duties. Some graduates of this program may use their accounting skills to establish home-based bookkeeping businesses. Graduates may continue their education as selected courses are recognized by other organizations such as Okanagan College Business Administration, Canadian Institute of Bookkeeping (CIB) and the Canadian Payroll Association (CPA).
In-class delivery (21 weeks):
- uses class management software
- runs on a Mon - Fri 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. schedule
- instructor led by fully qualified, experienced post-secondary instructors
- are interactive and engaging
Distance Education online delivery (630 hours):
- flexible program that allows you to choose when you study and work on your course materials
- student-led and self-paced
- ability to contact your instructor for any course assistance or questions
- B.C. Secondary school graduation, or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for at least one year as of the first day of classes.
- English 11 with minimum 50% or alternatives; or a minimum score of 70% on an Okanagan College Office Administration English entrance test.
- Pass in Math 11 (or equivalent) or a minimum score of 70 on an Okanagan College Office Administration math entrance test.
- Completion of the Okanagan College Office Assistant Certificate.
Join an info session or become a student for a day.
Have your questions answered by an advisor or recruiter.
Take the next step and enrol in a program or course at OC.