COVID-19 & Library Services
COVID-19: OC Library information and updates
Last updated: March 24, 2020
All Okanagan College campuses and libraries closing as of March 20, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
As part of the institution-wide closure, effective Friday, March 20 at 5:00 p.m., all Okanagan College campus libraries will be closed, and all in-person library services will be suspended until it has been deemed safe to resume those operations. As described below, services will continue to be available online, although the delivery of services could be affected as the situation evolves. Updates will be posted to this page.During the closure, the below services will continue to be available.
College-wide COVID-19 information can be found here.
The following services will continue to be available during the closure:
Collections & Resources:
- Digital learning and research resources are available, through the Library website, OCtopus, and other tools. For technical assistance with library resources, contact the Web Services Librarian.
- Interlibrary loan requests for online articles will be accepted, but delivery is dependent on other libraries’ ability to provide service.
- One-on-one research help is available via AskAway and email.
- Librarians can help with research questions related to specific courses and assignments.
- Guides to research by course and subject, and to the use of citation styles are available online.
- The Kelowna Learning Centre continues to offer one-on-one assistance with English & Writing, Math & Science, and Trades, via the website and Moodle.
- For Student Success Centre service information outside of Kelowna, please visit the relevant campus information page:
The following services will be unavailable during the closure:
- Borrowing of physical learning materials (books, reserves, DVDs, etc.)
- In the week leading up to the closure, the loan period for most books borrowed from the library was extended to 30 days;
- Any overdue fines accrued during the closure will be waived;
- Renewals continue to be available online;
- Please do not come to the library to return books, laptops or other materials.
- Short-term laptop loans and rentals; students who require the use of a laptop computer to complete their OC coursework from off-campus should contact the IT Services Help Desk.
- Individual and group study space; access to desktop computers
- In-person research and learning assistance
- Interlibrary loan of books and other physical materials
Information for Faculty & Instructors
- Faculty and instructors may contact their liaison librarian for one-on-one support related to course-specific materials and needs, integration of resources into Moodle, and requests for information literacy instruction for their online classes.
- Streaming videos are available from off-campus. A listing of streaming media databases can be found here.
- Questions related to copyright may be directed to the Copyright Officer. Click here for some quick copyright tips for digital delivery at OC.
- Additional information is available via the Library’s COVID-19 Support Resources Guide.