Former Youth In Care Tuition Waiver

Former Youth In Care

Complete the Former Youth in Care consent form and bring it in to any campus after you apply to a program at the College.

To be eligible for a waiver, you must have:

Been in foster care for at least two years. This includes youth who were on a Voluntary Care Agreement, a Special Needs Agreement, a Temporary Custody Order, or a Continuing Custody Order
OR, Lived with a family member (other than parent) or other adult for at least two years, as part of an agreement or custody order with the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a Delegated Aboriginal Agency. This includes youth who lived with family or another adult on an Extended Family Plan, a Temporary Custody Order, or a Permanent Transfer of Custody.
OR, Been on Youth Agreement for at least two years.

In addition to meeting one of the above requirements, you must also, be aged between 19 and 26 years old and attending a public post-secondary institution in British Columbia. If you meet the criteria outlined above, click the button below to visit the Registrar's office web page, for applications instructions.

Additional supports for former youth in care
The Youth Educational Assistance Fund (YEAF)supports post-secondary education and training for former youth in care through bursaries of $5,500 per educational year, up to a maximum of four years, to help with tuition, books and fees.

Under the Agreements with Young Adult program (AYA), youth who leave government care at 19 years of age are eligible for supports to cover living expenses while they finish high school, attend post-secondary training or complete a rehabilitation program.

Visit for more information of other funding opportunities for former youth in care.

If you have questions about the process of applying for the tuition waiver for former youth in care at Okanagan College you can contact:
 Okanagan College
Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills