Truck and Transport Mechanic
Commercial Transport Vehicle Mechanics diagnose, repair and service highway buses and trucks. They work for commercial transport vehicle dealers, garages and service stations. A Commercial Transport Vehicle Mechanic is designated as a Truck and Transport Mechanic under the Inter-provincial Red Seal program. These mechanics work on the mechanical, electrical and electronic components of vehicles. This includes the fuel, brake, steering and suspension, transmission, emission control and exhaust, and cooling and climate control systems.
The Commercial Transport Vehicle Mechanic apprenticeship program is a four year term with four periods of technical training. Apprentices in this trade will attend the new Heavy Mechanical Trades (HMT) training model.
HMT Level 1 is 10 weeks in length
HMT Level 2 is 8 weeks in length
HMT Level 3 is 6 weeks in length
Level 4 is 4 weeks in length (specialty for Truck and Transport Mechanic)
For more information on the Heavy Mechanical Trades training model visit this link Heavy Mechanical Trades.
Note: Apprentices who have completed the old foundation program will need to begin the new level 1 program.
Please note that apprentices who began their training in the old 6 week model for levels 1, 2, 3 & 4 will finish in the old model.
This new combined training model will allow apprentices more flexibility and opportunity for multiple credentials.
If you have any questions about this new process please do not hesitate to contact our office at 1-800-621-3038.
- You must be a registered apprentice within BC.
- Persons wishing to become apprentices must be employed with a business that employs a qualified journeyperson in that trade. The Industry Training Authority (ITA) sets up a registration for apprenticeship between the apprentice, the employer, and the ITA
Level 1 (10 weeks)
- Occupational Skills
- Frames, Steering and Suspension
- Heating, Ventilation and A/C
- Structural Components and Accessories
Level 2 (8 weeks)
- Engines and Supporting Systems
Level 3 (6 weeks)
Level 4 (Specialty - 4 weeks)
Truck and Transport Mechanic (Red Seal)
- Apply Work Practices and Procedures]
- Service Wheels, Hubs and Brakes
- Service Engines and Support Systems
- Service Electrical and Electronic Systems
- Service Fuel Systems
- Service Cabs, Bodies and Accessories
- For tuition information visit Apprenticeship Tuition Fees.
- Students must supply approved safety boots and coveralls.
- Income support for apprentices attending technician-training courses is provided by Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) through regular employment insurance eligibility.
- For financial and other useful documents visit Important Documents
The Truck and Transport Mechanic apprentice will write the Red Seal Examination on the last day of the level 4 technical training. Successful completion grants the apprentice with the Certificate of Qualification as a Red Seal Truck and Transport Mechanic. The Red Seal Endorsement is recognized across Canada.
Red Seal certified workers can work anywhere in Canada where their trade is designated. Labour mobility is essential for the Canadian workforce. For skilled tradespeople, the Red Seal is the recognized passport to mobility in trades across Canada.
How to Apply
Applications can be completed online here or over the phone. There is no application fee.
Click here to view the apprenticeship schedule
(250) 762-5445 (Local 4687)