Given the constant population growth and the accompanying increase in development and community expansion, job opportunities continue to be plentiful, ranging from municipal positions in potable and wastewater treatment, to private industries and consultants, and government environmental programs.
Salary expectations should start in the $40,000 per year range and go up with experience and classification. Many graduates have moved into management fin both the public and private sectors. Wages at the management level can range upwards into the six figures category.
Some careers and wage scales that are available to graduates include:
- Chemistry or Microbiology Laboratory Technician - $15 / hour
- Environment Canada Monitoring Technician - $15 - $20 / hour
- Municipal Water and Wastewater Quality Technician - $24 - $26 / hour
- Environmental or Civil Project Engineering Technologist - $24 - $30 / hour
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Level 1 GVRD - $27 - $29 / hour
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Level 2 GVRD - $31 - $35 / hour
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Level 4 GVRD - $36 - $40 / per hour
- Superintendent of a Wastewater Treatment Plant - $ 4,000 - $4,500 / biweekly