ESL for Canadian Students

ESL Picture W17

English as a Second Language (ESL) for Permanent Residents and Canadian Students

Permanent Residents and Canadian students can apply for ESL. Landed Immigrant status, Permanent Resident, Refugee status or Canadian Citizenship documents are required.

Further details can be found by clicking on English as a Second Language.

How do I apply for ESL classes at Okanagan College?

Go to our website at

Click on:

  • Become a Student
  • Apply Now
  • Apply Online

Or type the following link:

  • Fill out the online application.
  • Pay a $30.00 application processing fee.
  • Provide - proof of Permanent Residence status, or Canadian citizenship to the Registrar's Office (S-109).
How much are the fees for ESL classes?

A provincial policy announced August 8, 2017 has eliminated tuition for domestic students for English as a Second Language programs beginning Sept. 1, 2017.

Financial Assistance

While there is no tuition charged for English as a Second Language programs for domestic students, there may be financial help available through the provincial government's Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG). Follow this link to learn more about the Adult Upgrading Grant

What different classes are offered?

Reading, Writing, and Listening and Speaking.

What ESL Certificates does OC have?

1) ESL has two levels - English As  A Second Language

2) EAP (English for Academic Purposes) has four levels - English for Academic Purposes

What level of English do I have?

There are two ways to find your level.

1) Take the IELTS test. IELTS tests are offered at Okanagan College. To find the dates and apply for the IELTS test, please follow this link:

2) Take the OCELA. This test is normally held a few days before classes begin. Once you have applied to take ESL classes, the admissions office will send a letter giving you the date and time of your OCELA test.

Where are the classes offered?

The ESL classes are offered at the Kelowna campus.

When are the classes offered?

OC has 3 ESL semesters:

1) September – December.

2) January – April.

3) May – August.

Most classes are Monday to Friday from 8:30 – 5:20. You can take part-time or full-time classes.

How do I register for classes?

After you take the IELTS or OCELA, please contact an International Education Advisor. She will help register you.

How do I know the time and classroom number for my courses?

The OC Mobile App will tell you. Please download the OC Mobile App.

For further information contact the Department of English Language Chair

Ardiss Stutters
Phone: 250-762-5445 ext. 4381