Study Permits


A Study permit authorizes you to study in Canada legally. International students will receive their study permits in the form of a paper document which will usually be attached into your passport at the Canadian port of entry.
Please note: Study permits will only be issued to applicants studying at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
Okanagan College is a DLI and its DLI Number is O19395299488.

Do I need a Study Permit?

If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and will be studying at Okanagan College for more than 6 months, you must obtain a study permit from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If your program of study in Canada lasts six month or less and will be completed within the period of your authorized stay in Canada, you may study without a study permit. However, if you think you may study for a longer time, we strongly recommend that you apply and obtain a study permit prior to your arrival in Canada since only some people are eligible to apply for a study permit from within Canada.

A study permit does not authorize re-entry. Depending on your citizenship, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter and seek re-enter to Canada. Please click here to find out whether you need to obtain a TRV or eTA.

Most newly-accepted international students can now apply for their study permits online from their home country. You are required to apply for the initial study permit before coming to Canada. Instructions on initial study permit application can be found here. Processing time varies depending on the processing centre location. Please allow a minimum of one to six months.

Keeping Your Study Permit Valid

According to the IRCC, you are required to extend your study permit before it expires. Also, you are required to remain enrolled and actively pursue your course or program of study by making reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program. As per the IRCC, failing to do so may lead to your removal from Canada. 

Extend your Study Permit

International students should maintain their study permits valid throughout their entire study in Canada. If the length of your study permit is going to expire before you complete your studies, you should extend your study permit at least 30 days prior to the expiry.  Study permit can be extended by submitting an online application. Please click HERE for more information.


Please download and refer to the Detailed Guide on applying for a study permit Extension, available from the iCent app.

I am transferring from/to another Institution
If you already have a valid study permit for post-secondary study in Canada, you need to inform the IRCC about your change of post-secondary school. Please click here to learn about the steps.

My Study Permit has expired while IRCC is still reviewing my study permit extension application
If you submit a complete study permit extension application before your current study permit expires, you will have implied status, meaning that you can legally remain in Canada and continue to study until a decision on your application is made by the IRCC, only as long as you remain in Canada. Please click here for more information.

My Study Permit has expired and I have not submitted an application for extension
If your study permit expires before you apply for an extension, you will be considered "out of status." When you are out of status, you may not continue to attend school or work until your application for restoration of your status as a student has been approved. You must apply for restoration within 90 days of having lost your status in Canada. Please click here for details of restoration.

If your study permit expired more than 90 days ago and you have not applied for a restoration, you will NOT be able to renew your study permit. You will have to leave the country and apply for a new study permit outside of Canada.

DISCLAIMER: This website has been reviewed by Antriksh Mistry, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). This is not a legal document. Information herein may change without notice. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website, you are encouraged to visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to access the most up-to date information. Updated on Aug 2019.