If your documents are lost or stolen
IF YOUR DOCUMENTS ARE LOST OR STOLENPassport:
- If your passport is lost or stolen, you must replace it immediately.
- Contact the Embassy/High Commission of your home country in Canada to learn about the procedure and processing time of your new/replaced passport.
- You must have a new passport before replacing any Canadian permits or applying for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), if you had one.
If your other documents, such as study or work permits, are lost or stolen, you must request a replacement from the IRCC.
- Follow instructions on the IRCC website and submit your application with proof of payment of the $30 processing fee.
- You may continue studying and/or working, as permitted by your study or work permit, while your documents are being replaced.
- You should not leave Canada until you receive your replacement study or work permit.
DISCLAIMER: This website has been reviewed by Antriksh Mistry, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). This is not a legal document. Information herein may change without notice. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website, you are encouraged to visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to access the most up-to-date information.