Documents for Family Members

Documents for Family Members

If your family members are going to live with you in Canada while you study at Okanagan College, they should apply for visitor status at the same time as you. Please see below for more information on necessary documents for family members.


Inviting Relatives to Visit

If you would like friends or family to visit you while you are studying at Okanagan College, you must send them a letter of invitation. Okanagan College does not provide letters of invitation. You must write it yourself. For more information, please click here


Spouse/Common-Law Partner Work Permits
  • If family members are accompanying you in Canada, they require their own Canadian work permits if they wish to seek employment while you are enrolled full time in classes. They can apply for spouse/common-law partner open work permit from within Canada, after they have been admitted as visitors.
  • The spouse/common-law partner open work permit will be issued for the same length of time as the student’s study permit.
  • A job offer is not required for this work permit.


Permits for Dependent Children

Your school-age children (elementary or high school) do not require study permits; however, study permits rather than visitor records can make the immigration process run smoothly especially if your children enter Canada without a parent. When entering Canada, your children should bring with them two years of their official school records in English or with a certified English translation.


Extending Family Members' Immigration Documents
  • All dependants (including children) requiring extension have to provide their own documents.
  • Documents must be extended before the expiry date.
  • You can apply to extend your study permit, work permit and all the documents of your familymembers online through My CIC.
  • Pay the appropriate fee for each family member.


DISCLAIMER: This website has been reviewed by Sakura Hirata, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website you are encouraged to visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (CIC) to access the most up-to-date information.