Become a Host Family
Homestay is a vital part of Okanagan College International Education’s commitment to delivering a Canadian living and learning experience for our students. The information below may help you with your decision to open your home to an international student.
Responsibilities of Host Families
As a homestay, the following are required:
- RCMP record check for each member of your family over 19 years of age living at home.
- Must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Pick up or arrange transportation for students on arrival and departure
- Provide a private bedroom with a legal window and suitable bed, closet, dresser, night table, desk and lamp
- Home environment that is welcoming, safe and clean
- Three meals per day plus healthy snacks
- Attend homestay information/orientation sessions as requested
- Willing to attend occasional special events
- Accepting the student as part of the family
- English must be the primary language spoken at home
- Support the students in their studies especially those learning English
- Notify Okanagan College Homestay Coordinator of a change in your family situation (eg. illness, separation, new partner, moving, planning holidays)
The current homestay fee is $800 per month and it includes a private bedroom and food for three meals per day plus healthy snacks. The College will issue payment to cover the rent for the 1st (first) full month and the student will pay the host directly on first day of the second and subsequent months.
If you are interested in being an OC homestay, please complete homestay web application. The Homestay Coordinator will contact you and as the need arises, will be contacted for a home visit prior to being placed with students.
Student Settlement & Support