Dr. Heather Banham
Degrees, Designations, Diplomas, and Certificates:
- B. Bus. (Acctg.), University of Southern Queensland
- C.P.A. (Australia)
- M.B.A. (Asia Pacific International Graduate School of Management)
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) in Human Resource Management University of Southern Queensland (USQ)
- F.C.P.A., F.C.G.A. Fellow Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada
Expertise Areas: Accounting, Finance, Small Business
RESEARCH CONTRIBUTIONS AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Publications and Conference Presentations:
"Exploring the Relationship between Accounting Professionals and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)" 2014, 12(3), 209-214 co-authored with Dr. Yunke He
"Leadership Aspirations of Professional Accountants" International Proceedings of Economics Development and Research, 2013, 59(II), 44-49, co-authored with Dr. Yunke He
"Organizational Change in Small and Medium Size Enterprises: Practice, Frequency and Achievement of Objectives" Co-authored with Dr. Yunke He, presented at the European Applied Business and Economics conference in June 2012 and published in the International Journal of Management and information Systems, First Quarter 2013 Volume 17 Number 1.
"Education Destination Determinants of Chinese Students" Co-authored with Dr. Yunke He, recipient of "Best in Session" award at the European Applied Business and Economics conference in June 2011 and published in the Journal of International Education Research Volume 7, Number 4, ISSN: 2158-0979.
“External Environmental Analysis for Small and Medium Enterprises” Recipient of "Best in Session" award at European Applied Business and Economics Research conference, June, 2010 and published in the Journal of Business and Economics Research Volume 8, Number 10, October 2010 ISSN: 1542-4448.
“SME Governance: Converging Definitions and Expanding Expectations” Co-authored with Dr. Yunke He, recipient of "Best Paper Award" at The Clute Institute International Business and Economics Research conference, October 2009 and published in the International Business and Economics Research Journal, Volume 9, Number 2, February 2010 ISSN: 1535-0757.
“International Student Academic Performance: Some Statistical Evidence and Its Implications” Co-authored with Dr. Yunke He, recipient of ‘Best Paper Award” at The Clute Institute for Academic Research, Prague, June 2009 and published in the American Journal of Business Education Volume 2, Number 5 August 2009 ISSN: 1942-2504.
“Comparative Study on SME Policy: Canada, United States and the European Union” Co-authored with Dr. Yunke He and Dr. Sherry Price and published in the Journal of International Business and Economics Volume 8, Number 1, 2008 ISSN 1544-8037
“Australian small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs): A study of high performance management practices” Co authored with Dr. Retha Wiesner and Jim McDonald, published in the Journal of Management and Organization Volume 13 Number 3 September 2007
“Small Business across the Management Disciplines” Caucus sponsor at the Academy of Management conference, Philadelphia, August 2007
"Is the Current Situation of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) conducive to attaining their Economic Expectations?"
Refereed paper coauthored with Dr. Retha Wiesner and presented at the Canadian Council of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (CCSBE) at Trois Rivieres, Quebec September 2006.
‘Organizational Change in Small and Medium Enterprises - A Proposed New Model’
Refereed paper coauthored with Dr. Retha Wiesner and Nicci Poole and accepted for presentation at the Academy of Management (AOM), Atlanta, August 2006
‘Training and Development in Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)’
Refereed paper coauthored with Dr. Retha Wiesner and Nicci Poole and accepted for presenation at the ACREW conference in Prato, Italy (co-hosted by the Australian Centre for Research in Employment and Work and the Department of Management, Kings College, London) July 2006
‘Organizational Change in the Food and Accommodation Industry Sector in the Central Okanagan’
Paper coauthored with Dr. Retha Wiesner and presented at the Travel and Tourism Research Association (TTRA) conference in Kelowna British Columbia in November 2005.
‘The Implementation Enigma – Strategic Planning in SMEs’
Joint presentation with Sherry Price at the Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (CCSBE) conference in Waterloo Ontario October 2005
‘Bridging the Gap – from the Academy to Small Business’
Work in Progress presentation with Dr. Yunke He, Sherry Price at the International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines (IABPAD) New Orleans January 2005
‘Organisational Change in Small and Medium Enterprises’
Refereed paper for Canadian Council on Small Business and Entrepreneurship, November 2004 – coauthored with Dr. Retha Wiesner and N. Poole, Department of Management and Organizational Behaviour, University of Southern Queensland
‘Understanding Organizational Change and Building Competitive Advantage’
Workshop at Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, November 2004 – co-presented with Sherry Price
‘What happened to the Cash?’
Okanagan Business Journal, February 2004
‘International Human Resource Management’
Invited guest lecturer at Hogeschool Zeeland, Vlissingen, The Netherlands, in February 2002
- Certified General Accountants of British Columbia, Board of Directors, 2011, 2012, 2013 and Chair of CGA Education Appeals Committee 2011; Chair of Discipline Committee, 2012 and 2013
- Leadership Workshops for the Canada West Ski Areas Association annual conference in Kelowna BC May 2008, May 2009 – co-presented with Dr. Sherry Price
- Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (CCSBE) - Conference Co-Chair ‘Connecting Policy Practice and Research’ November 2007, Kelowna BC
- Reviewer for research articles submitted to the Academy of Management 2006, 2007, 2009
- Reviewer for research articles submitted to the Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship 2006
- Moderator for research presentations at the Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship September 2006
- Educational Advisory Board, Certified General Accountants Association of British Columbia, Board Member 2003, 2004, 2005, Chair 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Business Educators Articulation Committee, Chair 2004
- Commerce Articulation Committee, Chair 2005
- Conference Co-Host (with Edie Stolwijk, Chair, Applied Business Technology, Okanagan University College), combined Business Educators Articulation Committee and Commerce Articulation Committee of British Columbia 2003
- Presentation on joint Business and Commerce Articulation Conference to British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT), Chairs and System Liaisons annual conference February 2004 (Joint presentation with P. Shanahan, University of British Columbia)
- British Columbia Director, Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, appointed to a two year term, November 2004 - 2006