It’s almost time!
Next Tuesday and Wednesday, the Okanagan College community will gather for Connections 2013 at the Vernon campus. Connections offers employees the opportunity to spend an informative day with colleagues from different departments and campuses to get energized for the start of a new academic year.
Daily activities begin at 9:30 a.m. with an overview session, followed by a morning workshop, buffet lunch, and an afternoon workshop. There are fun events planned, including a lunchtime scavenger hunt. Each day wraps up with a social featuring appetizers and samples from Tree Brewing, Okanagan Spirits and Mead from Planet Bee.
If you haven’t already registered, there is still time to reserve your spot at Connections by contacting Michelle Lowry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phil Ashman appointed Associate Dean
A familiar face will be taking on a leadership role in Science, Technology and Health with the appointment of Phil Ashman as Associate Dean. Phil joined Okanagan College in 2002 as a professor in Network and Telecommunications Engineering Technology. He became chair of the department in 2010.
“I’m humbled to have been given this opportunity as Associate Dean and very excited to be joining the Dean’s Office team for Science, Technology and Health,” said Phil. “Everyone has been so supportive and I’m looking forward to meeting and assisting all our faculty and staff wherever possible to continue to provide the best student experience possible.”
Phil has extensive experience in Information Technology and is an active researcher in the areas of social media in the classroom and the application of education technology. He has been an active participant in portfolio and institutional committees, including representing the College on the Board of Directors for the Okanagan Research and Innovation Council before the transition to Accelerate Okanagan.
“Phil is a welcome addition to Okanagan College’s Leadership Team,” said President Jim Hamilton. “His contribution in the classroom, as Chair, and in the various committees he has been a part of over the past decade has been significant. His experience and knowledge of the institution will be of great benefit to his colleagues and to our students.”
HootSuite Secures $165M to expand
HootSuite, the social media analytics company founded by former Okanagan College student, Ryan Holmes, recently raised US$165M in venture capital financing that will be used for continued global expansion as well as product development.
HootSuite allows subscribers to manage their social media presence across multiple platforms from one dashboard. Started only four years ago, the company currently has over 300 employees and 7 million users. Free for users who employ only the basic functionality, the company makes its money through charging for use of advanced analytical tools that allow subscribers to monitor and manage their social media impact and engagement.
HootSuite’s impressive roster of clients includes major corporations such as PepsiCo, Sony Music and Telus.
Human Resources has announced the following changes to HR responsibilities.
1. Vanessa Morash, HR Advisor, will be on leave until October 14, 2014.
2. Dawn Southern, HR Advisor, will temporarily replace Morash, assuming responsibility for support to Faculty and Vocational employees.
3. Bianka Blandon has been appointed to a term position as HR Assistant with the Faculty/Vocational employee groups, and continues to be responsible for external advertising vacancies.
Support Staff Changes
1. Arlene DeBruin, HR Advisor, has been temporarily seconded to replace Dawn Southern as HR Advisor, Support Staff.
2. Carmen Nadon, HR Assistant, will be assisting Arlene DeBruin in the Support Staff employee group.
Exempt Employees Changes
1. Lynda Dreaper, HR Advisor, will be on career development leave from August 19, 2013 until September 2, 2014.
2. Liz Currie, HR Assistant, will temporarily replace Dreaper as HR Advisor with Exempt Staff and Systems.
3. Shawna Klempner, HR Assistant, will fill in for Currie with a term position in Exempt Staff and Systems.
4. Joan Kleinsteuber, HR Advisor, has taken on interim additional responsibilities for Exempt Staff Recruitment. Kleinsteuber continues to be responsible for job descriptions, organizational charts and bargaining unit and exempt job evaluation.