Okanagan College Indigenization Events
During the different phases of the Okanagan College Indigenization Strategy plan there will be meetings and community gatherings to discuss the needs of the Okanagan College communities. These meetings and community gatherings will help shape the direction that Okanagan College Indigenization will take. This page will highlight Okanagan College events - past,present, and future that are designed to build meaningful and respectful relationship with the local Indigenous population.
Annual Events held on campus by Aboriginal Services:
- Annual Pow Wow - Youth from all the school districts in the Okanagan attend this annual event to celebrate and honor the Indigenous culture of dancing and singing and gathering as a community.
- Aboriginal Graduation Ceremony - Each spring, Okanagan College holds a culturally relevant and supportive graduation ceremony to celebrate the academic achievements of the Aboriginal student learners at Okanagan College.
- Aboriginal Career Fair - UBCO and Okanagan College have partnered to alternate hosting this event, which brings together middle school, high school, college and university students with organizations in the community to share information about what skills and knowledge are required to gain employment.
Future events that are being planned include:
- Lunch and Learn series - These will focus on gathering students (past, present and future), faculty and staff to teach and learn about what Indigenization means to them and what they would like to see happen with Indigenization at Okanagan College.
- Facilitation Sessions - These will focus on bringing the OC communities together to learn about the process and progress of all the Indigenization activities.
Proposed initiatives by Okanagan College Indigenization include:
- Surveys - These will be circulated to gather even more information from the Okanagan region members. The survey results will further assist with gathering insight that will help steer how OCI can be accomplished.
- Pit house based aquaponics greenhouse
- Organic farming/community garden (projects potentially at each campus)
- Sqilxw 4 Food Chiefs-based (Okanagan Nation creation story) Culinary Arts Program
- Summerhill Organic Farming with Traditional Ecological Knowledge programs connected to OC
- Centre for Dialogue Pillar project
- Indigenous Garden – KLO Campus
- Translating signage into Okanagan
If you have an idea for a possible initiative, please send an email to:
Bill Cohen - Project Lead: email@example.com