- Three Principles of Effective Online Pedagogy - Pelz
- Teaching in a Digital Age - Guidelines for Designing Teaching and Learning by Tony Bates (free online book - webinar series also available at teachonline.ca/teachingwebinars)
- A 2016 Look at the Future of Online Learning - Contact North (pdf)
- Making Sense of Blended Learning - Contact North (pdf)
- "institutions should not waste money on trying to re-create the impression of live, face-to-face instruction by investment in expensive remote classroom systems for synchronous instruction">
- "teaching in higher education is still a cottage industry where one individual is responsible for all stages of production and delivery"
One-Stop Shopping for (Free) Virtual Reality Content
Article about Drexel University's repository of VR and AR Objects - to be used in both classroom and online environments
Can a Family of Bots Reshape College Teaching?
Article about a computer science professor who designed chatbots for his artificial intelligence online course and asked students to identify the chat bots from human teaching assistants. Not all students could.
The Important Distinction Between 'Digital' and 'Technology-Enabled' Learning
This article is targeted towards corporate learning (L&D) but if you exchange these words with "higher education" you can see that this topic really applies to our environment as well. "Digital, today, does not mean the application of technology. It means user-centricity [learner centredness]; it means adding value to the customer [learner]'s journey..."
This report, now produced by Educause, highlights trends in education technology, estimated time to adoption and presenting challenges.
New Virtual Reality School Hopes To Educate Canadians
Empathy is sometimes hard to teach and Canadian Residential Schools is a challenging topic to address and understand. Some researchers from the University of Manitoba are using an immersive environment to build a virtual residential school to allow learners to experience what it might have felt like from the student's perspective.
The History of Augmented and Virtual Reality
Who knew that augmented and virtual reality went back to 1838?
Ten Facts About Learning Analytics
Excellent fact sheet about learning analytics from Contact North. I like fact #1 - learning analytics are aimed at improving teaching and learning.
Mitigating Conflict in Online Student Teams
Practical article about how to handle conflict in online teams when you are the professor.
Athabasca University reaches deal with cloud-computing giant Amazon
Now this is innovative and out of the box thinking. It will be interesting to see what develops out of this relationship
Ten Facts About Artificial Intelligence in Teaching and Learning
Nice succinct article about the main aspects of AI and how it applies to learning and teaching in higher education. With references.
84 year old Texas Woman is About To Earn Her College Degree
I like these stories - shows that you are never too old to learn. Online learning played a role here in removing barriers to learn which makes this story extra cool.