- Where possible, all seafood is Oceanwise and we follow the guidelines provided by the Vancouver Aquarium, Department of Fisheries & Oceans Canada, National Marine Fisheries Services and the Blue Ocean Institute.
- We offer two types of Coffee, Starbucks and Seattle’s Best, both of which are ethically sourced and Fair Trade. We also offer a selection of organic coffees. The cups used feature 10% Post-Consumer fibre, an innovative food-safe material, and helps to preserve the environment by using less virgin tree fibre in the production process.
Health and Social:
From a health perspective, and also in an effort to reduce the GHG emmissions generated from meat production, we offer an ever expanding menu of both vegetarian and vegan options in the cafeteria, restaurant and by request in the coffee shop. These items can include Pasta Primavera, Vegetable Lasagna, Roasted Vegetable Flan, and Pan Fried Tofu Provincale.
- We also use only a zero trans-fat, high heat canola oil for both cooking and deep frying.
- When excess food is available (both prepared and in raw form) we donate the food to the local Gospel Mission located in Kelowna. The Gospel Mission picks up as required during regular operating business hours.
What do we do with our left over food?
- Composting bins are provided for students and staff in each kitchen. At the end of the day contents are emptied into bins provided outside of the cafeteria building. Pick-up and replacement of compost containers is facilitated through our Department of Facilities Management.
- We have a pilot program on our Salmon Arm Campus to handle our "post consumer waste". We have arranged for a weekly pick-up of all food waste and used paper towels which are now composted. Two more elements removed from mainstream garbage destined for landfill. We are also presently working on expanding this service to the Vernon Campus.
- Napkins, both table and take-out are made from 100% recycled material and are Certified EcoLogo.
- Campus dining operations offers discounts to customers who use reusable mugs instead of disposable cups in to-go food service operations. Our cafeteria offers one flat fee for coffee in a re-usable mug regardless of size. Coffee prices range from $1.25 to $3.25. The price for a re-usable mug is $1.50
- We also offer an Eco Take Out Re-usable Container program. The containers are re-usable, microwave safe, dishwasher safe, good for 1000 washes and can be recycled (#5 on the recycle chart). We currently offer other types of take out containers which are 100% compostable.