Emergency Wardens and Deputy Wardens are to be appointed by the administrative head of each Division/Department/Faculty which will be coordinated through the Safety Office.
- Assist in the safe evacuation of his/her department or designated area in the event of a fire or other emergency during normal working hours,
- Appoint assistant wardens as may be required, depending on department area size,
- Appoint area monitors who could assist handicapped occupants in the event of an evacuation.
- To conduct a visual check of their area biweekly and report any faulty conditions immediately to the appropriate Supervisor. Faulty conditions include:
- Fire doors wedged or blocked open
- Exit lights out
- First aid, fire fighting equipment not available or obstructed
- Obvious fire hazards, accumulation of combustibles (oily rags and chemicals)
- Overloaded electrical circuits
- Appoint at least two monitors to assist physically handicapped persons.
- Ensure Deputy Warden is in place in the event of the Warden's absence.
- Be familiar with, and act in accordance with, all provisions of the fire emergency and evacuation procedures. Training will be offered by the Safety Office as required.
- In conjunction with RCMP, assist in establishing search teams on his/her floor and provide supervision of search procedures in the event of a bomb threat. While the RCMP have advised it is preferable for employees to assist in any search, no employee will be required to participate.