Health & Safety Training
Training plays an important role in Okanagan College's efforts to create a healthy and safe environment for the college community while maintaining regulatory compliance. Ensuring that everyone meets necessary training requirements is a cooperative effort.
Employees are responsible for:
- performing their work in a safe and responsible manner;
- knowing appropriate safe work procedures and safety rules; and,
- obeying established safety rules and maintaining hazard-free work areas by identifying unsafe conditions and reporting them to their supervisors.
Supervisors are responsible for:
- ensuring their employees receive the health and safety training necessary to work safely;
- conducting periodic reviews of safety conditions; and,
- ensuring prompt correction of unsafe work habits and/or conditions.
The following courses are offered at no-cost to employees. Supervisory approval is required prior to registering. Please contact Mame McCrea Silva, Manager, OHS Operations and Training (firstname.lastname@example.org; local 5648) to arrange a training session..
OHS Supervisory Responsibilities Training
Under WorkSafe Regulations, a supervisor is any person "who instructs, directs and controls workers in the performance of their duties". Further, a supervisor must ensure the health and safety of all their workers and any other workers present at their workplace.
Please contact Mame McCrea Silva, Manager, OHS Operations and Training (email@example.com; local 5648) to arrange a training session..
WHMIS 2015 updates Canada's requirements for workplace chemicals under the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS). Okanagan College must ensure that general WHMIS education, as it pertains to the workplace, is provided to workers.
- Training sessions are offered via Continuing Studies. Please contact Mame McCrea Silva, Manager OHS Operations and Training (MSilva@okanagan.bc.ca; local 5648) to schedule specific departmental sessions.
- To register, employees must contact the Continuing Studies department CSCentral@okanagan.bc.ca and provide their employee number and the date of the course they wish to attend.
Asbestos Awareness will guide you through all aspects of asbestos, from the hazards associated to how to protect yourself. You will be issued a certificate of completion when finished.
Please contact Mame McCrea Silva (local 5648; firstname.lastname@example.org) to request this training.