Annual Flu Vaccination Program
Each year, Okanagan College offers employees the opportunity to receive a flu vaccination.
Why should I get vaccinated?
- Reduces your risk of getting the flu – approximately 10 to 25 per cent of Canadians are infected annually.
- Lessens your chances of developing serious complications if you do get the flu.
- The BC Centre for Disease Control suggests that anyone who works in an institutional setting, such as a school or college, should consider being vaccinated.
I’m already healthy – do I need the vaccination?
- Don't be fooled - the flu can also affect healthy individuals since it spreads very easily by coughing and sneezing.
- Healthy individuals may even be carriers of the flu – one in five people can have the virus without symptoms!
Can I participate?
The vaccine is offered as a service to OC employees only and participation is voluntary. Any questions regarding the type of vaccination or the after effects should be discussed with your family physician.
Where can I get vaccinated?
Clinics are held at various OC campuses and are generally scheduled in October or November. Watch for information on your campus’ program or contact the Manager, OHS Operations and Training by email or by phone at local 5648 for dates and times.
Is there a cost for the vaccination?
- As in previous years, OC will continue to pay 50% of the total cost.
- Your portion of the vaccination is approximately $10.
- The cost may vary at the different campuses, depending on the fee charged by each service provider.
Where can I get more information?
- Prior to flu season, you can contact the Manager, OHS Operations and training with any questions regarding the program.
- In October each year, the Health and Safety office will send out a global email providing upcoming clinic dates, locations and costs.
- Schedules will be posted at all campuses offering the clinics.
- Check out the BC Health Files pages regarding the flu and immunization:
Top of Page