Before you arrive in Canada

Before you arrive

Once you have received your Letter of Admission from Okanagan College you can begin to prepare your immigration documents for arrival. You will need a study permit (if you are planning to study in a program that is more than 6 months) and a passport. In some cases you may be required to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to be admitted into Canada.

Applying for your first study permit

Once you have been admitted to the College you can contact a Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission serving your area to find out how you can apply for a study permit. You will need a valid passport before you apply.

Visit the CIC website for application instructions. The Canadian visa office processing your application will issue you with a Letter of Introduction. Do not lose this letter. You will need to present it to an immigration officer at your first port of entry (border or airport) when you arrive.

Accompanying Family Members

If you will be bringing your immediate family with you to Canada you should make sure that you apply for their documents as well.


If you are enrolled in an academic program and your spouse is accompanying you to Canada they may be eligible for a spousal work permit. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website to find out more about the eligibility requirements for this work permit and instructions on how to apply.


If your minor child (under 19 years) will be accompanying you and attending school in Canada you should contact the local school district to find out what documents your child will require. The school district will be able to tell you how you can register your child for classes.

DISCLAIMER: This website has been reviewed by Danai Bélanger (Kusikwenyu), a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website you are encouraged to visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (CIC) to access the most up-to-date information.