After you arrive in Canada

After you arrive

Okanagan College requires all international students to have a study permit while they are registered. You can visit our office in E110 for more information about renewing your study permit and any other Canadian immigration documents.

Education Advisors can answer your questions about the following:

  • Renewing study, work and visitor permits
  • Working in Canada
  • Lost or stolen documents
  • General information about taxes

You can also review the immigration application guides for instructions on how to renew your documents.

Renewing and Extending Documents

Do not wait until the last moment to renew your documents and do not let your passport or study permit expire. You can speak to an Education Advisor if you are not sure how or when to renew your documents.  

In most cases you may require a Confirmation of Enrolment Letter and an official transcript for your application. To get a Confirmation of Enrolment Letter you can complete the request form. After completing the Confirmation of Enrolment Letter Form, please save and email to the International Education Advisors at

Study Permit

After your passport your study permit is your most important document. Do not let your study permit expire. You can begin renewing your study permit 90 days before it expires.

Temporary Resident Visa

Citizens of certain countries require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) every time they travel to Canada. You do not need to get a new TRV or eTA if you are not planning to leave Canada for the duration of your studies.

Co-op Work Permit

If you have been accepted into an Okanagan College co-op work placement you will be eligible to apply for a Co-op Work Permit. You will need an official letter from your co-op advisor to submit with your application. A co-op work permit can only be used for employment that is part of your internship or work term. It cannot be used for part-time work. If you would like to work part-time you should check your study permit to see if it permits you to work on or off campus.

Documents for families

If your spouse of children have accompanied you to Canada they will also need to keep their documents valid. Education Advisors can help you renew the following documents for your family:

  • Visitor records
  • Study permits
  • Spousal work permits


Working in Canada

As a general rule you are advised not to start working until you are sure that you have the authorization to do so. If you would like to work part-time while you complete your studies you must have a valid study permit that permits you to do so. If you are not sure whether you are eligible to work you can come and speak to an Education Advisor. Before you start working you will need a Social Insurance Number. You can visit a Service Canada Office to get one. For more information about working in Canada you can visit the CIC website.

Lost or Stolen Documents

If you lose your immigration documents you must go to a police station as soon as possible to report your documents stolen. The police will give you a file number. You will need this get new documents.

Lost Passport

After you have contacted the police you should contact your embassy or consulate in Canada. Most embassies are located in Ottawa, however, there may be a consular office for your country in Vancouver or Calgary. Your embassy will advise you on how to get a new passport. You may have to travel to the embassy or consulate to get your new passport.

Lost study, visitor or work permit

If you lose your study, visitor or work permit you can apply for a Verification of Status from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Application Guides

Before you begin the process of renewing your documents you should request a Confirmation of Enrolment Letter. You may also be required to provide an official transcript as part of your application. This can be requested through your myOkanagan account. You can find instruction guides for the following documents:

Visas and Permits

Temporary Resident Visa

Study Permit

United States Visa

Family Documents

How to invite someone to Canada

Spousal/family work permits


Tax Information

If you were living anywhere in Canada between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016 you are encouraged to file or submit a Canadian tax return because you may be eligible for GST/HST credit, as well as any income tax you paid through your employment. The deadline to file taxes in Canada without penalty is April 30, 2017.

Review this information before you file your taxes to ensure that you have all the documents you need.


DISCLAIMER: This website has been reviewed by Danai Bélanger (Kusikwenyu), a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information on this website you are encouraged to visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website (CIC) to access the most up-to-date information.